leg cramps!!!!

turbo1967

Jan 4, 2013
has any body found a good way to prevent leg cramps after long hikes.have tried potassium but not great results.

Stretching. But it could be caused by dehydration so lots of water as well and some salty foods.

ghost is right, water is the main reason for cramping. You need to be drinking at least a gallon a day if not 2. As long as you're eating healthy you don't need Gatorade type powders but they do help. Another cause is poor fitness and flexibility. The saying "The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in war" or something along that line.

water water water - I agree. Also slow down a bit. Pushing yourself too hard too fast (especially at the beginning of the day) doesn't let the muscles stretch and warm up. And at the end of the day after a long hunt, go slow the last half mile so your muscles can cool down. If it is in camp after a long day, then make sure you are not sitting in a chair that is cutting off the circulation.

Hydrate with some electrolites you need to fuel the machine once in awhile can't run for ever on empty.

thanks guys.sounds like water may be it I only carry about a quart and half with me and hunting hard is the only way I know how,8 to 10 miles a day is the normal and very steep country.

The problem with all of us is we hit the hills and only drink when we think we are thirsty. We need to be drinking all the time even when we do not think we are thirsty. We should be drinking 3 liters of water a day minimum when at home doing a lot less than we are on the mountain. This means we should be refilling our water bladders at minimum everyday. I know this is hard to do because many of us do not have that resource when packed into the back country. This is why it is important to find a great water source when scouting so you can camp near by and have that resource. Water Water Water!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back