My mtn biking helmet saved me!

Boom

Aug 6, 2017
i crashed and hit the ground hard. This was Tuesday.

I?m embarrassed to report several riders went past me, while I was bleeding and laying on the ground. They didn?t care to be bothered.

One guy did stop, and he helped me up, checked my bike. I coasted most of the way downhill. I did have to pedal some.  Watching my knee swell up was amazing. Each pedal stroke made me grit my teeth in pain. Another guy helped me get my bike on my truck. I drove home.

One look from my wife; and she took me to the ER. I was road rashed severely. Dizzy.  They CT scanned my head and took X-ray pics of my worst cuts. I got wound care.

I?m okay. Minor fracture of my knee cap. Minor whiplash and concussion.  My spirits are up. Why? My helmet has a dent in the right frontal lobe.  I cannot imagine where I would be if I didn?t wear that helmet, or it slipped in my crash. It saved me!

Again I?m okay. I think I ruined my hike in Peru. Up the Inca trail. But whatever. I?ll rally and take the train up there to meet the group. I?m thrilled to not be seriously hurt.

Ironically, I?ve been riding a lot to get in shape for that hike. I get back on that bike just as soon as my kneee heals and I buy another helmet PLUS elbow and knee pads. ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME is my new riding mantra.  I need to be strong for elk. Hehe.

My wife wants me to buy a rowing machine :)

Oh. Drawing my bow isn?t gonna happen anytime soon. I?m limping bad and both shoulders are in pain. I couldn?t draw a slingshot right now.

First of all, glad you are okay. Busted up is a WHOLE lot better than the possibilities had you not been wearing a helmet. Keep inflammation down, ice, ibu, etc. Let yourself heal and then, start low and slow strengthening.

Secondly, I love your sense of humor and your mindset...

"My wife wants me to buy a rowing machine"

HILARIOUS!!  :haha: 

I agree with Joe, that could have been worse so I am happy to hear you are okay.

That really makes me mad that those people just rode right by you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cohunter14 said:
Wow Cliff, glad you are okay! What caused the crash?

I brushed a wasp away from my face just as my front tire hit a big rock. So I was only one-handed on the handle bar for that split second.

Wow, that's an unlucky break. Good thing you were smart having a helmet on and glad it didn't end up worse. A broken bone could have put a real damper on your season!

Dang Cliff that could have been really bad. Good to hear for the most part only minor injuries.

You have to quit being like Terry and getting hurt just before season.  ;-)

F M said:
Dang Cliff that could have been really bad. Good to hear for the most part only minor injuries.

:haha:

Thanks for the reminder Francis. It is getting close to season. I better watch the ribs and limbs. After I finish replacing windows and siding a house I will try to take it easy. :haha: :haha: :haha:

F M said:

haha..i THINK i will be fine in Sept.  i better be.
i get my knee brace today.  (week late).  maybe crutches.
i did change the vacation plans.  no more hiking up machu pichu.  my travel agent worked some magic and got me a train ride up.  hahah..and wife and i will do more sighseeing and them meet up with the group.
i'm good.  i'm not drooling on myself for life, eating my food with  a straw. :)  i was blessed.
and my mtnbike helmet company offered me a FREE helmet replacement!!!  saved me some big money.  hehe..
thanks for the well wishes.

All that just to get a new bike helmet?  Wouldn't it have been easier to just ask for one at Christmas?  LOL!!

Too bad it wasn't a really gnarly crash and could've gotten a new bike too!  Just kidding!

Glad you're okay Cliff.

bike came thru unscathed.  looked at it a few days ago..

gross: i had a piece of dried skin on the handlebars..that was what cut my knee. 

Guess it's just not a good time to be riding bikes - brother in law was out riding road bike with his girlfriend/mother of his child.  He's a skilled bicyclist/triathlon kinda guy and she's relatively new to biking especially off the sidewalk.

Anyhow, she's getting really tired and he convinces her to get super close and draft off him to conserve energy until they make it home.  Well, either the dude in front slowed a little or lost his cadence or the chick bringing up the rear was paying attention to the road and not his back tire.  One fractured tibia later along with a bruised tailbone and some road rash that'll keep her out of commission several days - weeks from being able to teach yoga again.

NOO!!!
on a roadbike in a crash..yuck.  that has to be worse. 

hope she heals up quick.

colorado russ said:
Guess it's just not a good time to be riding bikes - brother in law was out riding road bike with his girlfriend/mother of his child.  He's a skilled bicyclist/triathlon kinda guy and she's relatively new to biking especially off the sidewalk.

Anyhow, she's getting really tired and he convinces her to get super close and draft off him to conserve energy until they make it home.  Well, either the dude in front slowed a little or lost his cadence or the chick bringing up the rear was paying attention to the road and not his back tire.  One fractured tibia later along with a bruised tailbone and some road rash that'll keep her out of commission several days - weeks from being able to teach yoga again.

Ouch!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back