My NM tags showed up!

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
f69a5a693b28281ee46dc942090db50f.jpg

100 days and I?ll be in the mountain with a pocket full of tags. (Two more coming - all the same season)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woohoo! Hopefully check the mail tonight and see if I got mine too.

Fantastic... I waiting on pins and needles for my first ever result (Colorado draw)... Regardless, I'll do over the counter but here's to shooting for the stars a little.

scotttgill said:
Fantastic... I waiting on pins and needles for my first ever result (Colorado draw)... Regardless, I'll do over the counter but here's to shooting for the stars a little.

Good luck!!!! Did you have any points going into it?

matman said:
Woohoo! Hopefully check the mail tonight and see if I got mine too.

Hopefully they are there.  Good luck!

DTP said:
scotttgill said:

Good luck!!!! Did you have any points going into it?

[/l]​

No, unfortunately not (points). I did my research through Go Hunt though and put in a couple of units that gave me 50%-60% draw odds. So, I'm hoping to get lucky but I'm a realist and I'm ok with that. I'm just excited about going whether I get the tag or whether I go OTC.

scotttgill said:
No, unfortunately not (points). I did my research through Go Hunt though and put in a couple of units that gave me 50%-60% draw odds. So, I'm hoping to get lucky but I'm a realist and I'm ok with that. I'm just excited about going whether I get the tag or whether I go OTC.

Sounds like you're in for a great season!
The best way to start an elk hunt is with a great attitude!  :upthumb:

daved270 said:
Congratulations on the tags Dan!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!!!
Good luck in your draws this year!
Maybe TX will be nice to you again ;)

I called Friday morning since they were supposed to be mailed on the 25th. Rep said they were mailed in batches and to wait a week. Yesterday the wife waived the tags in my face....Anticipation runs high when them thar tags actually show up.
Elk hunting is new to me but I think it is going to be a great year here in New Mexico.  The water has returned and most good elk areas had plenty of snow pack. The creeks and tanks are running full. You elk experts may find some good and maybe not so good about that. I found elk this spring where I turkey hunt (not my unit) which tells me the herds are more  dispersed now that water is more available, however that is just an uneducated observation on my part. Scouting will tell the tale.
I have a bear tag for this fall. I plan on archery hunting the early season around the first of Sept. during the berry season which will serve double duty for finding the right bull for the rifle season.

Gila said:
I called Friday morning since they were supposed to be mailed on the 25th. Rep said they were mailed in batches and to wait a week. Yesterday the wife waived the tags in my face....Anticipation runs high when them thar tags actually show up.
Elk hunting is new to me but I think it is going to be a great year here in New Mexico.  The water has returned and most good elk areas had plenty of snow pack. The creeks and tanks are running full. You elk experts may find some good and maybe not so good about that. I found elk this spring where I turkey hunt (not my unit) which tells me the herds are more  dispersed now that water is more available, however that is just an uneducated observation on my part. Scouting will tell the tale.
I have a bear tag for this fall. I plan on archery hunting the early season around the first of Sept. during the berry season which will serve double duty for finding the right bull for the rifle season.

I?m so pleased with the moisture levels this year.  I agree with the plentiful water having them more dispersed.  Last year during September I was in to so many elk every day because it was a drought year.  Drought years have me worried every morning, I walk up and check the fire maps.  With there still being snow in the area I hunt right now, plus plenty of rain, I am sleeping much better.  All this green grass will make for some fat elk, deer, and bears.  It?s a wonderful year to have a tag. 

Good luck this season.

I wouldn?t mind if it rained all summer through mid-late August. Then it can rain some more after I get out of the wilderness haha!  Looking forward to receiving my tags. Haven?t come yet.

Jmillgreen said:
I wouldn?t mind if it rained all summer through mid-late August. Then it can rain some more after I get out of the wilderness haha!  Looking forward to receiving my tags. Haven?t come yet.

I'm with you! Rain until mid august, then give a break until after September archery  :haha:

DTP said:
matman said:
4a84fcda4aa8f605a3c0c72ca12f355b.jpg

Asked my wife and she said it arrived.

You are in for such a good hunt!!!!!

I hope so. Super excited to hunt New Mexico for the first time. I?m allowing myself about 18 days there. 4 before the season and 14 for the season.

matman said:
DTP said:
matman said:
4a84fcda4aa8f605a3c0c72ca12f355b.jpg

Asked my wife and she said it arrived.

You are in for such a good hunt!!!!!

I hope so. Super excited to hunt New Mexico for the first time. I?m allowing myself about 18 days there. 4 before the season and 14 for the season.

I've done that the last few years and it's a great plan. It helps you get acclimated to the area and typically you can find elk before the season kicks off!

Keep your eye out for some deer... there are some monsters in that unit as well as good bulls :D

i am going with E-tags.  i should seriously read up on them..feels weird not having paper in my pocket.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back