Need Help With Clothes

Bradfield

Sep 27, 2019
Hi Guys,

Next September will be my first year elk hunting (Colorado, archery).  I've hunted whitetails all my life, so I have camo, but probably not what I need for this type of hunt.  I'm planning on either camping at the truck or bivy camping (still deciding).  It might be a solo hunt, which makes me lean towards staying closer to the truck.

I'm not against buying name brand clothing, but due to me thinking about changing careers in the next 3-4 years, as of now I only actually think I'll be able to go elk hunting 2-4 times in my life (which makes me hesitant to invest a lot of money when I won't be able to continue using it). 

Therefore, first question, to those of you that archery hunt deer in the midwest (I'm from Iowa), do you wear any of the same clothes deer hunting that you use to elk hunt?  That would ease my mind of spending a lot of money on the clothes if I know I can continue using them for other hunting purposes.

I understand a layering system is necessary.  From my research I have seen a lot of people suggest merino wool as a base layer.  I've also been told to stay away from cotton.

What I'm trying to do now is determine exactly what clothes I need to buy and then I'm going to spend the next year looking for deals and trying to buy them on sale.  I'm hoping you guys can help me determine exactly what clothes those might be.

Per Corey's hunting clothes that he lists that he wears, he shows the following:

Pants: Sitka Mountain Pants
Base Layer Top: Sitka Core Lightweight Crew Long Sleeve
Vest: Sitka Jetstream Vest or Celsius Vest
Jacket: Sitka 90% Jacket
Gloves: Sitka Traverse Glove or Sitka Shooter Glove
Puffy Vest: Sitka Kelvin Vest

Second question: Am I correct that Corey doesn't have a base layer for his legs, he only wears the mountain paints and that's enough?

Third question: Why does Corey have a base layer, a vest, a jacket, and a puffy vest all for the top?  Does he wear a vest over the jacket and then if it gets really cold then he swaps out the vest for the puffy vest?

Fourth question: Do you guys suggest merino wool socks and underwear or anything other normal socks/underwear?

Fifth question: Is there anything special about gloves or can I just use a light weight pair that I use for deer hunting?

I'm not specifically set on Sitka, but there are so many different options for hunting clothes that I really don't know what would be good or not unless someone specifically says you should look into getting this exact pant or this exact jacket.

If you guys don't mind, I would really appreciate if you could make suggestions for a layering system and even including links or pictures to the exact item is even more helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for your help!

Welcome to the site Bradfield!  :welcome:

Alright, I'm going to try to run through each of these questions. First, be sure to check out this YouTube video Corey just put out. It's a more updated version of what he wears compared to what you had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCZzQzeeCB0

Can you wear the same gear whitetail hunting? Absolutely, and quite frankly some or all of your whitetail hunting gear might work for elk hunting.

Layering is definitely helpful. I typically start every morning of archery with a tee shirt, a 1/4 zip of some sort, and either a puffy vest or jacket. Depending on the temps, I might also have a base layer on underneath my pants. None of those items are merino wool for me (except my socks). But I also tent camp and change clothes everyday for the most part. If I backpacked in, the only thing I would change would be some merino boxers and the base layer for my legs would be merino. Currently both of those are synthetic for me as I prefer the moisture wicking.

As far as Corey's recommendations go, check out the video to see what he wears now. My archery setup is somewhat similar to his now: I wear the Apex pants (Mountain pants are too warm for archery unless you get a cold front moving through). I haven't had to wear a base layer under these yet for archery, but if I did I would be comfortable wearing those down to the high 20's and low 30's for temps. And without the base layer, I've hunted comfortably in 70+ degree weather. I wear a Sitka Core Lightweight Crew T-Shirt, a Sitka Core Midweight Zip T or a Sitka Traverse Zip T (Very similar - Midweight is a thinner layer, which I prefer for archery and it's also less expensive), and then I wear either the Sitka Kelvin Lite Vest or the Sitka Kelvin Active jacket. If I were you and was trying to save money, I'd just get the jacket and skip the vest. That setup will keep you plenty warm down to 40 degrees or a little below, especially if you are moving around. The only other thing I have is the Flash Jacket, which is extremely lightweight and could be used as a pullover if it started raining. If I were you and wasn't sure I'd be elk hunting too many times, I'd just use any sort of rain jacket or get some Frog Toggs.

Does Corey wear a base layer? I'm guessing he doesn't during archery. As I mentioned, the Apex are plenty warm without a base layer in my opinion and they are lighter than the mountain pant.

Does he wear two vests? No. Again, check the video out. If you watch any of the Land of the Free or Destination Elk episodes, he typically isn't wearing a vest. He's wearing the Kelvin Active jacket.

Merino Socks and Underwear? Yes, for sure on the socks. For underwear I prefer a synthetic just to wick away moisture, but either will work.

Gloves - anything will work.

Hopefully this helps! If you want to list out what you currently have for whitetail hunting I'm sure we can tell you which pieces will work. Two things with Sitka: be careful buying it because it's kind of addicting! And typically all Sitka goes on sale for at least 20% off starting mid January and runs through early March on the Elk101 Store. Try to jump in early because it flies off the shelves and popular sizes disappear quick!

Thanks for the reply!  I really appreciate the comments and the video, I think I'm finally narrowing down what I truly need.

Wish I had seen that video a few days ago, since I saw the Kelvin Lite Jacket on sale for like 50% or 60% and I thought about getting it, but I waited and it sold out about an hour later.

So here what I'm thinking of buying over the next year:

$150 - Pant - Sitka Traverse
$48 - Base Layer Top: Sitka Core Lightweight Crew Long Sleeve
$89 - T-Shirt: Sitka Core Midweight Zip T
$289 - Jacket: Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket

And then if I find a really good deal then I'll also pick up the Puffy Vest: Sitka Kelvin Lite Vest, but if I don't then I won't worry about it.

I also have some under armor bottoms that I am thinking of bringing just in case I need something more than just the pants, but I'm guessing in most cases I won't actually need to wear them.

I also have an old Browning Dry-Lite rain shell that I can use over the top if I need to.

Do you agree that this is a good strategy for clothes?

It also probably doesn't matter, but I'm thinking of going with the subalpine color/pattern as that would probably blend in the most for whitetails and turkeys in Iowa.

I want to thank you once again for all of your comments and suggestions.  I had posted similar questions on Facebook hunting groups, but none of the other responses were as comprehensive and helpful as yours.

No problem! I haven?t tried the Traverse pants yet, but from what I?ve heard and seen I think that?s a great strategy  :upthumb:

Hey just something to consider, I?ve been wearing Kryptek clothes the last few years and really like their line of clothes. You can always find them on clearance at the end of the season too. There are lots of good clothing brands out there...I?d say just watch for the best deal and don?t be too rigid about only looking at Sitka.

This may be a little off topic, but your boots are more critical than any other item of clothing. The wrong boots can ruin your trip. Make sure you have that ironed out before you take off west...

I'll guarantee you one thing. You'll get a heck of a lot colder sitting in a tree stand hunting whitetails in Iowa than you will hunting elk in the mountains in Colorado during archery season. Save your money and use what you already have. You'll be just fine.

I live in one of the colder areas of Colorado. And I have often hunted elk during archery season in nothing more than blue jeans and a camo T-shirt. Toward the end of September, I'll add a hoodie sweat shirt or lite jacket. And I usually have some rain gear. It not only keeps you dry but is also an excellent wind breaker.

More important than the hi priced, fancy Dan clothing is a good pair of hunting boots. Spend your money wisely!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back