new DIY elk hunters hunting unit 74

rebelhutch

Jun 1, 2017
Helllo all. i am planning a hunt in unit 74 for 3rd rifle. I am hoping for some information on the unit if anyone had some experience in the upper hermosa and hermosa wilderness.

hunt info
it will be 2 of us in my group. backpacking out of the truck and sleeping in backpacking tents. any gear info is greatly appreciated. have talked to several guide services and got some info on where they are running camps.

will an atv or side by side be beneficial to pull 22 hrs.

anyone recently hunted the unit?  please send me some info thanks  8)

I've never hunted 74 unfortunately, but a couple of things I'll throw out there: first, ATV's are not allowed in the wilderness area, so if you are planning on hunting that then there is no need for an ATV. If not, it could be beneficial. Second, I would definitely have backup plans for backpacking into the wilderness in case the weather doesn't cooperate. Third season can bring temps in the 60's or you could be hunting in a foot or more of snow. The last thing you want to do is get caught miles back in the wilderness unprepared in one of those storms, so make sure you prepare for that and plan accordingly.

Hopefully someone with a little more intel on Unit 74 will be able to help.

thnx for the info i will definately try to be prepared for what you have desribed may be hard to still maintain a light pack

Just try to keep an eye on the weather and know it can change in an instant in the mountains. Remember, you don't have to pack in and camp. Have a backup plan where you can maybe camp from the truck and hike in if you have to.

I've not hunted 74, but do have some experience in that area. I have bowhunted unit 71 next door, and spend much time near the 71/74 line.

the western portion, Hermosa Wilderness is rougher than a cob. very steep and tough access. really pretty, but pretty rough!  I've seen turkey, deer, elk, bear, etc. LOTS of bear sign.

while ATV's might give you access to the roads, it'll be danged cold by 3rd rifle. 

there are good #'s of elk in that area.  I recommend calling the CDOW office in Durango for recommendations. they've been helpful to me in the past.

like others have said, watch the weather..... not sure where you intend on parking but if it's not at a major low elevation trailhead you'd hate to get a big dump of snow without tire chains and good lugs. have a plan b.... 3rd rifle can be 60 and sun or high 20's and snow and it might vary that much between 7K and 10K feet..... IMO late in 2nd but usually by third is when elk can really start to get pushed around by weather.

I'll 2nd Billy's observations on the topography and bear both, however if weather is inclimental I have to believe bears start thinking about crawling in somewhere to take a nap? I;ve never really looked into when bears in SoCol hibernate but I've seen (and it only stands to reason) much less bear activity late into Oct and early Nov.

good luck, the hermosa is a beautiful wilderness.

Thanks for the info. Has anyone had any luck around hotel draw. Where do the elk travel from into there. Also how is the terrain  north of hermosa trailhead around Grayson mine. Getting closer to time. Thanks

rebelhutch said:
Thanks for the info. Has anyone had any luck around hotel draw. Where do the elk travel from into there. Also how is the terrain  north of hermosa trailhead around Grayson mine. Getting closer to time. Thanks

No luck in hotel draw or graysill. But it's still quiet @ both right now. Should start to pick up. I'd spend more time near hotel and hike in from west into hermosa while the horses come in from the east on hermosa crk trl.

Also a lot of muzzleloaders out right now. Had first chance yesterday and then gunshot blew everything off mtn I was on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew a tag in unit 74 and I'm looking to get some information on where to target an if the bulls are responsive early September

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back