Night time bugles?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
How many of you hear bugles in your sleep??
Just kidding, sort of; do you bugle at night or early before daylight to locate bulls??  How effective is it?

Personally I don't like to bugle outside of legal shooting time.
I'd hate to be out in my spot an hour before sun is up, bugle, bring in a bull, and then have him spook out before I can even hunt.  Same goes for the evening too. 

I'll go out early and listen for bugles and then slowly navigate my way in closer.  Not close enough where I'll spook them, but close enough that once I have my light I have a shorter gap to close. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to locate.  Once they respond or if I hear an unsolicited bugle in our area, I'll mark the location and move on.  Was out in our area a couple of times until about 1am this past year in mid-late Sept and would often hear bugles coming from areas where we had hunted the day before, but would not respond during daylight.

We don't anymore. Had the mistake of "practicing" around the fire and had them come into our spike camp. It only pushes them further away when they find out where we were camped. Last year we had a bull on opposite sides of the canyon we were camped in and it became a full on bugle war between them at 1AM in the middle of a down poor. Lasted for about 5 minutes and they both sounded to be around 100 yard away, we kept quite and the next morning we went up the canyon that had the best shooting lanes and wind and killed that bull 1/2 mile from camp. He was all fired up coming back down the canyon with the same bugle. Glad we stayed quite that night.

If you hear bugles near your camp, resist the urge to respond.
Will they answer if you do? - Yepper. But what good will it do ya?

Now if you're out driving the forest roads at 1am doing some locator bugles, have fun!
You'll get some responses and have a starting point for dawn

But this isnt for me. Im getting some much needed rest

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back