Outerwear, Sitka, kuiu, plythal... Etc

HiZ

Feb 1, 2019
What have you used and what are your recommendations. I'm to the point to purchase the next step in moving gear. Currently I run wool > western hunters, what's the recommendation

It's definitely not necessary to spend a ton on gear, but I will say that it's sure nice to have it if you do. I started with some Sitka gear a couple years ago and I continue to add to the collection. It's some pretty amazing stuff. As far as which pieces of gear I'd recommend, some of that would depend on when you hunt, i.e. earlier archery seasons or later rifle seasons. Happy to provide recommendations if you tell me that :upthumb:

cohunter14 said:
It's definitely not necessary to spend a ton on gear, but I will say that it's sure nice to have it if you do. I started with some Sitka gear a couple years ago and I continue to add to the collection. It's some pretty amazing stuff. As far as which pieces of gear I'd recommend, some of that would depend on when you hunt, i.e. earlier archery seasons or later rifle seasons. Happy to provide recommendations if you tell me that :upthumb:
Ditto. I?ve tried a lot of different brands. Ended up with majority Sitka Gear when I was done testing because It fits me better the way it?s cut. Merino wool is amazing! If you don?t care about a certain Camo pattern or if solid colors are fine with you, Minus33 brand has got good merino wool pieces. Honestly, after trying a lot of different materials, can?t say enough how big of a fan I am of merino wool. Finally, shop sales and look for close outs on last years stuff. I?ve never paid full retail for Sitka, KUIU or firstlite. Just gotta know what you want then pounce when it?s on sale or close out. If you even a bit more info on type of hunt, time or year, I can help get down to what weight you need, etc. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cohunter14 said:
This is going to be early season archery western hunting. I've been a Midwest flatlander and have that down. Just reading and researching the systems. Merino wool is my base go to. But between the brands for similar attributes to the climate change is what I really want to be sure of. Just buy one and be done.... I'm kind of built like a tank, chest thighs and seat are always hard to fit with shoulder restrictions and leg movement. Anyway, just curious for warm to mid season gear for sure. Up to the cold weather...

I carry the Sitka Jetstream jacket archery elk hunting, it?s great for early morning sit and glass, a little warm for the rest of the day but windproof and shreds water nicely. I wear it turkey hunting here in Iowa in the spring as well. It?s my goto shell. The Ascent and mountain pant are in line with what I would look at from Sitka. Ascent is lighter than the mountain good for early season. The Attack pant from KUIU is a good weight pant for what you are looking for too I think. They are a bit snug around my thighs though. I?d head to your nearest dealer for Sitka and try a bunch of stuff on for the fit. I wish I could do the same for KUIU but since they are direct it?s nearly impossible.

Behindthehunter said:
I?d head to your nearest dealer for Sitka and try a bunch of stuff on for the fit.

If you have this option, definitely do it. I will tell you that the Ascent pants will probably be too snug if you have larger thighs. The Apex are a little better. The Mountain and Timberline pants provide the most room, but I wouldn't say either of them is good for warmer weather. They are both tailored to colder weather.

cohunter14 said:
Behindthehunter said:
I?d head to your nearest dealer for Sitka and try a bunch of stuff on for the fit.

If you have this option, definitely do it. I will tell you that the Ascent pants will probably be too snug if you have larger thighs. The Apex are a little better. The Mountain and Timberline pants provide the most room, but I wouldn't say either of them is good for warmer weather. They are both tailored to colder weather.
I wish they still made the 90% pant. That pant was amazing!

HiZ said:
Anyone to chime in on kuiu
I?ve ordered a few pieces from them,

Attack Pant - fairly light weight pant, vents on hips to dump heat which is good for early season. Runs a bit tight in thighs. I kept this pant, have worn them multiple times I like them.

Guide Pant - heavier pant than the attack. I liked the material but very tight through thighs and hips had to send them back

145 ultra merino long sleeve - Good weight shirt. It?s a good weight as a base layer for early season, not the softest shirt but I did keep it

Super ultra down jacket - it wasn?t warm enough for what I was looking for, but it?s very light and packable. Sent it back

Guide beanie - weird shape, noisy and kinda hard to hear out of it. Had to keep it bought it on clearance.

I love what they come up with, sometimes they fall short on a few features that I?m looking for and from everything I?ve tried, they run a bit slim cut. I?m by no means a big guy, 5?8? 170#.

I keep trying pieces but it doesn?t seem like a good fit for me that?s why I end up with more Sitka. But KUIU has good customer service and I know guys that love it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the heads up on kuiu that seemed to be the point for most is slim cut fit and my shoulder arm to butt thigh ratio is beef heavy... Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back