Plan for Opener

Elk Noob

Aug 15, 2016
I was out scouting my Unit this weekend and found a few nice Bulls Sat night. Right now it seems like they are still in bachelor groups, but a few of the bulls were beginning to engage with each other and it seems like they are really starting to get worked up.

Do you guys think these bulls will likely be in a similar spot come this weekend, or will they already be out looking for their cows?

I wasn't able to glass up any Cow's, but have a good plan for getting after these Bulls if I think they'd be in a similar area.

I'll be honest this can go either way.....
In my last few seasons of hunting early season I've found both.
Bulls still in bachelor groups and then others broken up.

If I were in your shoes I'd be out where the bulls were for opener, but if I found that they were gone I wouldn't spend too much time hoping they will come back.
I'd be on to the next spot!

Yup, that's what I was going to do. I'm only a weekend warrior so I've only got a couple days this weekend. My plan is to get where I saw the elk and hopefully spot them Fri night and make a move on them Sat morning.

Elk Noob said:
Yup, that's what I was going to do. I'm only a weekend warrior so I've only got a couple days this weekend. My plan is to get where I saw the elk and hopefully spot them Fri night and make a move on them Sat morning.

Good luck!

My plan is to get there Thursday get camp set up and maybe scout depending on the time we get in.  Find some bulls Friday, kill them Saturday and be on my way back to PA on Monday :lol: .  But I got till the 1st to make something happen.

So many times Ive talked to guys a couple days into the season and they say "Geez, We scouted and saw elk before season started and now nothing!"

Hmmmm.... maybe stay outta the woods until you can hunt?

I pondered going and checking trail cams last Sunday, but thought better of it since its so close to season.

Choose wisely

cnelk said:
So many times Ive talked to guys a couple days into the season and they say "Geez, We scouted and saw elk before season started and now nothing!"

Hmmmm.... maybe stay outta the woods until you can hunt?

I pondered going and checking trail cams last Sunday, but thought better of it since its so close to season.

Choose wisely

I do agree with that. I typically do my scouting earlier in the year. I found a nice glassing spot off a hiking trail and I saw the elk from there. My trip this past weekend shouldn't really affect them pressure wise.

My question was more around if the Bulls are already getting into it a bit with each other, how long before they really start going after cows?

They were really getting antsy and dancing etc. thrashing up trees.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back