Quick camp meals?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
What do you all typically cook in camp for dinners?
The past few years I?d get home and cook big dinners, but I?m kind of over that.  What are some simple calorie packed meals you guys cook up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We pre-cook all of our meals for the week, vacuum seal then freeze. When we get to camp we take out 1 meal a day in advance. Spaghetti & meat balls, home made soups, pork tenderloin, shredded beef, lots of diced fried potatoes ( don't freeze). All these only take about 10 minutes to heat up in cast iron. One night, with a little luck, fresh inner loins!
It helps to have an organized wife that is a good cook! All my boys and I have to do is reheat!

Have a two burner camp chef with a griddle. Bacon ends & bits, chopped up potatoes, meat chopped up, some home made green or red chili, warm some tortillas, add some cheese, roll it up, and eat like kings. Chicken, pork, beef, elk, venison, all work well.

Do my grocery shopping at thr Walmart in Craig on my way up. Try to keep it easy.

Dan, I like to microwave some baking potatoes before I go and once cooled down will wrap in aluminum foil.  Now, you've got a fully cooked potato to use for most anything.  Heat up pork green chile and pour over top with some sour cream, grated cheese and jalapenos.  Quick but still very hearty.  Cut the potato into slices for the grill or for breakfast.

Also like making an italian sandwich on baguette with dijon mustard, prosciutto, salami, ham, pepperoni, provolone, mozzarella.  Cut into single serving size and wrap in foil.  Heat up on grill.  Get some cherry peppers and grind up along with some shredded lettuce and italian dressing.  Add to the sandwich after heated through on grill.

Individual servings of soup/stew with cornbread or tortillas.  I love a big bowl of posole with green chiles and shredded pork shoulder with a few tortillas!

Since I hike all my gear in and camp 2-3 nights at a time, I look for lighter options.  Mostly Mountain house meals, heat water with jet boil and good to go.  Beef jerkey, plain almonds, bars.

We have a 10 day basecamp from the truck here in Montana in September. I prepare meals depending on what time we get back. My wife makes a two big pots of lasagna and  spaghetti. I freeze the lasagna in the pan, cut it into portion before freezing it. Then after it is frozen we put it into vacuum sealed bags. The spaghetti is split into portions also and frozen. To heat up each portion, boil a pan of water and the frozen portion of lasagna or spaghetti into the boiled water, heats up in a couple minutes.

We had pre cooked meals that we frooze also, chicken thighs with gravy, rigatoni ala sacilino, beef stew Sheppard pie,grilled chicken. Had plenty with leftovers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back