Quick range when no time for lasering

2rivers

Aug 27, 2015
What is best method for yardage estimation in hills if no range finder is available?  I always seem to over estimate how far they are in rolling terrain. 

I usually guess things are closer than they are. I've guessed 20 yards on a spike that was 40 yards haha. the best thing is to practice while you hunt and scout. Just guess landmarks and range them to see how you did and over time you'll get better. I also try to envision my block target as I shoot it the most and at every distance I plan to take shots at on animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used it but this is supposed to give you a yardage estimate while at fulldraw.

www.deadonrangefinder.com

I agree with 208 just go for hikes and try guessing yardages. Or if you don't have time for a hike, then while you are shooting your bow guess yardages and range find. That helps me the most. And by the end of the summer when I have been shooting everyday I have 20-60 yards pegged pretty good, just because your brains starts to absorb the information subconsciously I think. If its around 30 yards or under I just split the difference between my 20 and 30 pin cause my bow shoots flat enough that the margin of error is small. Once it is pass that I try to range, so I might get busted, but I would rather get busted than wound an animal.

One thing that has helped me has been my transition from compound to traditional.... You get crazy good at judging ranges if you go out stump shooting or don't dedicate your only practice to a pre-determined range. I still shoot and hunt w/ compound but my practice with traditional has made me keenly more observant when judging distance.

Always carry a rangefinder with you, even when stopped at a light while driving. You can guesstimate objects and check after. Your eyes will soon catch on, leaving you with little room for error when its crunch time. Everything else from above is great to consider.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back