Scouting new area

kad1429

Jul 30, 2015
I'm from Billings, MT and will be hunting the east side of the crazies this year for archery season. I will be able to get out at least twice this August for scout but am very new to this. I have a decent set of binos and a good spotting scope and am planning on getting up very high and glassing, but the area is very steep and very thick timber. Am I going about this the right way? Will the elk be in the same spot come September? Or do i forget the major glassing and wonder through the woods? If so what am i looking for, and if I'm glassing what am I looking for other than the critters themselves? Any advice would help thanks.

considering i'm fairly new to elk hunting as well (this will be my third year), i have learned through trial and error. i use to cover a ton of ground and never spent any qualtiy time glassing. the first year i hunted i saw 0 elk. this past season, i lucked into them in the peak of the rut when the bulls were vocal, and had a few shot opportunities. so my plan this year is to get way up high and glass as much country as i can when the sun first comes up, so if even if they aren't bugling, i can still locate them. walking and looking for sign, water, wallows, tree rubs, etc. is just as important too though, because you just can't see that stuff through a spotter. just my 2 cents, if anyone could offer any more advice or correct me if i'm wrong, please do! because like i said i'm still a newby at elk hunting

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back