Shooting with Sweaty Hands

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
I've noticed this before, but I was shooting this morning and noticed my grip slipping a bit because of having sweaty hands. It just didn't feel solid and I could feel portions of my hand contacting the bow that certainly shouldn't be. Does anyone else have this issue? Has anyone ever considered doing something to the grip to make it less slippery, like putting a piece of tape or something on there?

That is actually the first thing I do every season. If you have ever played baseball, and taped a bat, I use that tape on my grip. I also like to keep some pine tar (collected on the hunt) in my pack in case I have really sweat hands because sweat won?t penetrate pine tar.

There is a real sport out there called Hockey, and I know some people tape their grips with hockey tape.

Also, where are you holding your bow? Can you take a picture next time and post it?

DTP said:
There is a real sport out there called Hockey, and I know some people tape their grips with hockey tape.

Also, where are you holding your bow? Can you take a picture next time and post it?

Hahaha ironically enough I do have hockey tape laying in my bag of old pads sitting in my basement, so that could work! I hold my bow right against the pad of my thumb and outside of the life line.

Ivar88 said:
That is actually the first thing I do every season. If you have ever played baseball, and taped a bat, I use that tape on my grip. I also like to keep some pine tar (collected on the hunt) in my pack in case I have really sweat hands because sweat won’t penetrate pine tar.

Good to know that I'm not crazy with this idea!

I always wear a light glove on my shooting hand, either with the fingers cut out or a full glove.
But I don't want my hand gripping. It is more about the bow pressure against the thumb pad of my hand and not about a grip. In fact just the opposite. The more muscles in your hand involved in gripping, the more variance in your shot. Gripping leads to torquing which changes your shot and leads to inconsistency.
I could be totally misreading your question and overstating this and maybe should have just stopped at wear a light glove. If so, my apologies .

WapitiJoeNM said:
I always wear a light glove on my shooting hand, either with the fingers cut out or a full glove.
But I don't want my hand gripping. It is more about the bow pressure against the thumb pad of my hand and not about a grip. In fact just the opposite. The more muscles in your hand involved in gripping, the more variance in your shot. Gripping leads to torquing which changes your shot and leads to inconsistency.
I could be totally misreading your question and overstating this and maybe should have just stopped at wear a light glove. If so, my apologies .

Thanks Joe. Yes, I should have described it a little better myself as I'm not gripping the bow, just trying to put it into that thumb pad. However, when I get a little sweaty it starts to slide a bit and all of a sudden I'll feel my fingers touching the bottom of the shelf, which I know isn't a good thing.

Derek
I glued a piece of 'rug' section of Velcro on my handle riser. Its thick and durable. It helps with the sweat issue

cohunter14 said:
WapitiJoeNM said:

Thanks Joe. Yes, I should have described it a little better myself as I'm not gripping the bow, just trying to put it into that thumb pad. However, when I get a little sweaty it starts to slide a bit and all of a sudden I'll feel my fingers touching the bottom of the shelf, which I know isn't a good thing.

Got it. If you don't like wearing a light cotton glove, you can wrap the grip in moleskin as an option. It comes in large squares and even camouflaged. That would stop the slipping.
I like to put the moleskin on my shelf and window to stop and noise if my arrow hits the window.

cohunter14 said:
I've noticed this before, but I was shooting this morning and noticed my grip slipping a bit because of having sweaty hands. It just didn't feel solid and I could feel portions of my hand contacting the bow that certainly shouldn't be. Does anyone else have this issue? Has anyone ever considered doing something to the grip to make it less slippery, like putting a piece of tape or something on there?

I have about six pair of Sitka shooters gloves that I take every year. That way if they get real sweaty, I can change them every day and not get my scent all over the place. Works for me and helps me gain a more solid grip on my bow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back