Sitka rain gear

farmboy

Dec 29, 2012
Anyone have experience with the stormfront jackets from sitka.  I have all their lightweight stuff but I'm looking for something warmer and waterproof for late season.  Its pricey.  Is it worth the money or not?

I bought and sold the Sitka Stormfront Light pants and jacket. The jacket was ok but the pants kept making a loud swish-swish noise as I walked. I had them on for about 5 minutes before they drove me nuts and took them off. I hunted for two days in the rain on my mountain pants. I guess you could say that they wouldn't be really loud enough to spook an elk, especially in the rain. But I felt like everything within a square mile could hear me walking on those pants. That being said they are well made and will keep you very dry. For me, I need to have 100% confidence on anything that I have on me, my bow, or in my pack and these pants just didn't cut it. Sitka makes great gear and I use them exclusively though.

I do believe their DewPoint rain gear is a little quieter and will most likely give it a try.

I used the Stormfront set (NOT Stormfront Lite)... They were extremely comfortable and allowed for great range of motion.  Both have vent zips and breath pretty well for truly waterproof gear.  I love the jacket and found it comfortable and pretty quiet.  The pants were fine for rifle/ muzzleloader hunting, but I think they are a bit noisy for archery and really getting close or putting a "sneak" on (I may be wrong though since I didn't get to use them during archery).  I put both the pants and jacket through brush and briars...no rips or tears.  Be cautious if you purchase the pants, as there was fabric shred starting where the boots may rub together...I put some Tenacious Tape on that area of the pants and that will hopefully stop the issue. 

I found the fabric got a bit more quiet as I wore it, which was nice.  In comparison to the Cloudburst, I think the Cloudburst is slightly more quiet, but not by much. 

I will be still be hunting archery with the Stormfront jacket, but have opted to go with the Kryptek Koldo rain pants due to their fabric and quietness.  The Kryptek is also lighter than the Sitka pants and also articulated knees for free range of motion.  Not sure the Koldo will dry as quickly as the Stormfront series, so if you are bivy hutning, you may want to stick with Sitka...but if you can return to the camper and get warm/ dry, Kryptek may be the way to go. 

I have the Stormfront and use them a lot. Are they great for spot and stalk and a calm quiet day, probably not the best choice. That said if my normal Sitka gear isn't keeping me dry and I have to go the route of the Stormfront the animals aren't going to hear me anyways as it will be raining pretty hard/steady. I wore them on a out of state Whitetail hunt this fall and it would pour then stop....seemed like every 20 minutes I was taking off or putting on. No biggie. As to quality they are just like anything else Sitka makes. Top notch, thought out, and great for the intended use. I would recommend them.

try the Kuiu brand I have theres it's cheaper than sitika and the same if not better quailty.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back