Smartwool vs First Lite Merino Socks

Mountain Bowhunter

Jan 2, 2013
I hear so many people rave about smartwool socks but I know that First Lite make top notch merino clothing so I am on the fence about which one to get.  Any opinions on these or suggestions for other brands of quality merino socks?

I don't have any first lite products (mainly bc of price ) but smartwool sock are awesome even when wet(from sweat or a stream). I love my smartwool socks, i even wear them when I'm not hunting, they are great for preventing blisters atleast in my experience.

moonie said:
I don't have any first lite products (mainly bc of price ) but smartwool sock are awesome even when wet(from sweat or a stream). I love my smartwool socks, i even wear them when I'm not hunting, they are great for preventing blisters atleast in my experience.

thanks.  first lite socks are not as expensive as their other gear and are basically the same ratio and material as the smartwool hunt heavy crew. figured they might be worth a look

I don't know if they do or not, but from personal experience they are comfortable, and they have a lifetime warranty.

I use Smartwool socks over a Cabelas Coolmax Liner. Wether it's 90* or 15*. It works great without my feet getting sore or blistered. Last season we hiked 80-100 miles in 8 days and on the last day my feet looked just like the first day.

ghost said:
I use Smartwool socks over a Cabelas Coolmax Liner. Wether it's 90* or 15*. It works great without my feet getting sore or blistered. Last season we hiked 80-100 miles in 8 days and on the last day my feet looked just like the first day.

nice.  which smartwool sock?

I use the Under Armour boot socks.  They have several different versions of this, all of which are great socks.  The thing I like about them is they are tighter fitting and don't slide down in my boot after long periods of uphill or downhill hiking. 

Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:
This one. Not to light, but not the heavy.

http://www.smartwool.com/hike-medium-crew-1216.html

I don't understand why they have all these different series.  hike, hunt, etc.  the hunt medium looks like the same sock as the hike medium just a different color

Marketing, they are all the same. Like you said it's just a different color. Hike and Hunt model that is. Just make sure is their medium sock, Heavy is way to much sock and light is not enough for what we are using them.

ghost said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:
This one. Not to light, but not the heavy.

http://www.smartwool.com/hike-medium-crew-1216.html

I don't understand why they have all these different series.  hike, hunt, etc.  the hunt medium looks like the same sock as the hike medium just a different color

Marketing, they are all the same. Like you said it's just a different color. Hike and Hunt model that is. Just make sure is their medium sock, Heavy is way to much sock and light is not enough for what we are using them.

Yeah i figured.  Just makes it more confusing. medium is 72% merino, heavy is       
75% merino.  the first lite is 75% merino but doesn't look as big and bulky, that's why I was considering that.  looks like it fits like a lighweight sock too

Mountain Bowhunter said:

They are sewn differently, and the hunter has more material along the bottom. Quite frankly you probably will not notice a difference unless you compare the two side by side and inside out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back