Spotting Scopes?

enigmatic

Dec 30, 2012
Looking at upgrading spotting scope...currently have the Nikon Spotter XL (16-48).  Anyone have any suggestions...Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. are out due to price for me.  Anyone have any feedback on the Leupold Kenai or Nikon Fieldscope ED?

Curious about angled...are they a pain to line up on your target area? 

check out vortex. I'm looking for info on the vortex viper. My brother has the razor hd which is awesome. It is out of my price range.

After a lot of research and knowing how much I am able to set aside to buy a spotting scope I'm personally looking at the Zen-Ray Zen ED2 20-60X82 for around $1000.  But i suggest doing some research and seeing what you can come up with and whats going to be in your budget.

Outdoorlife website has a great review they did on the 5 best New spotting scopes of 2012.  I suggest taking a look at it just so you can see whats out there that will compare with the Top of the class like Swarovski.

You can never research it enough and when you go to places like Cabelas, Scheels, Sportsmans Warehouse (etc.)  just ask around and see what everyone else uses, it doesnt hurt to ask and it will just give you more info to make your decision.

I love my angled leupold, Favorite spotting scope I have had. I wont go back to a regular one. It does take some getting used to but when you looking through for hours spot and stalking your still comfortable and neck and all. If your planning on using it for spotting from a vehicle stay with a straight angle.

Leupold has stellar service and lifetime warranties, the others may...

Depending on your application, you could be very happy with a more affordable spotter.

I have the leupold gold ring series and they are great , I think they are 80 power, well worth the money I spent on them try looking up planetoptics.com I think this is where i got them for under $400. hope this helps

The Nikon ED50 is pretty good especially for packing in. The new Vortex 50 & 65 are supposed to be very nice.

I use the Vortex products can't beat their warranty, or their customer service. I would check out the Vortex line in a price range you are comfortable with, as well as the Zen Ray series.

I've looked at the Vortex, they seem to be a bit on the heavy side (66oz)...if a scope and tripod was all I would be packing, not an issue, but often times it isn't. 
That is why I was curious about the optics quality of the Nikon ED (41oz).  I suppose 1 1/2 pounds isn't worth worrying about too much in the grand scheme of things

My current Nikon Spotter is already 15-48x, but I'd really like to be able to zoom to 60x... (Nikon is 20-60x60mm and the Vortex is 15-45x65mm)....am I over-concerned about being able to zoom in to a full 60x?  Does the Nikon lose some of the clarity at 60x?  Maybe 60x is overrated?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back