Thoughts on the Bowtech Reign 6?

82ndreddevil

Aug 17, 2017
Right now I am currently looking at the Bowtech Reign 6 as an upgrade from my Hoyt Charger. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this bow?

Shoot one and see if it fits you. If it fits and you like it, that's all that matters. I personally like Elite, but they're all good bows. Customer service is a big selling point for me along with warranty.

jstephens61 said:
Shoot one and see if it fits you. If it fits and you like it, that's all that matters. I personally like Elite, but they're all good bows. Customer service is a big selling point for me along with warranty.

This^^^^

It's hard to shoot a modern bow that isn't good, 95% of it boils down to personal preference. I myself haven't ever been able to get over the limb de-lamination issue bowtech was plagued with a few years back, despite it appearing to be remedied. Upgrading in bows is all relative and hindsight 20/20 but your charger is possibly hoyt's most underated bow of all time. It was a price point model but it performed well beyond the cost. I wouldn't be looking to get rid of it unless I didn't shoot it well or absolutely had to. Just my $.02.... I don't get as hung up on "new and cool" like some others do anymore. I bought an xpedition 2 yrs ago for my compound set up and I'll likely shoot it until the cams fall off, even though the market says there's better out there every year.

A few years ago (2008) I had an elite gt500. I love my current set up but I could still just as well be shooting that elite. When they advertise themselves as the worlds most shootable bow, they aren't lying. That thing flat out performed and I sold it to upgrade to a different manufacturer's bow, only to find out it didn't shoot nearly as well as my elite. I've since upgraded again (xpedition) but the point is I had something that worked and wasn't broke, I didn't need to fix it but tried anyway and ended up for a few years with (what I perceive to be) and inferior product to what I had.

If your charger works and you shoot it well, I'd personally keep runnign it.

backcountry_hunter said:
jstephens61 said:

This^^^^

It's hard to shoot a modern bow that isn't good, 95% of it boils down to personal preference. I myself haven't ever been able to get over the limb de-lamination issue bowtech was plagued with a few years back, despite it appearing to be remedied. Upgrading in bows is all relative and hindsight 20/20 but your charger is possibly hoyt's most underated bow of all time. It was a price point model but it performed well beyond the cost. I wouldn't be looking to get rid of it unless I didn't shoot it well or absolutely had to. Just my $.02.... I don't get as hung up on "new and cool" like some others do anymore. I bought an xpedition 2 yrs ago for my compound set up and I'll likely shoot it until the cams fall off, even though the market says there's better out there every year.

A few years ago (2008) I had an elite gt500. I love my current set up but I could still just as well be shooting that elite. When they advertise themselves as the worlds most shootable bow, they aren't lying. That thing flat out performed and I sold it to upgrade to a different manufacturer's bow, only to find out it didn't shoot nearly as well as my elite. I've since upgraded again (xpedition) but the point is I had something that worked and wasn't broke, I didn't need to fix it but tried anyway and ended up for a few years with (what I perceive to be) and inferior product to what I had.

If your charger works and you shoot it well, I'd personally keep runnign it.

There is a lot of truth to what you guys are saying, I am one as well that tries to avoid the marketing hype out there. My charger works great, with field tips most of the time. But getting that thing to tune with broadheads is like chasing a greased pig. Now as we all know there are tons of X factors that go into broadhead tuning. But in 3 years I have had my local pro shop do everything imaginable and I have upgraded from Gold tip hunter XTs to Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos because  of how straight they are. I have changed spines 3 times, added helical vanes and I spin test every shaft with a broadhead before each practice shot. I would say I am very meticulous with making sure everything is perfect on the bow and the arrows in order to get consistent broad head flight. The best I can get is enough accuaracy and consistency to confidently take a deer at 40 yards. Now I am not saying I would launch an arrow 100 yards at a deer or an elk, but I would like to have greater accuaracy than what I am getting. Also, this bow appears to be more sensitive to timing than other bows I have seen. I see people that get as good if not better broadhead flight even with their bow slightly out of timing. This Charger, if it is off slightly than it is all over the place.
So why am I looking so hard at the Reign 6? Just the fact that you can tweek the timing without a bow press alone is worth a new bow to me! I am not going to get rid of my charger, ill keep it as a back up. Its just very high maintnence when it comes to tuning and timing issues when using broadheads. So in short, I am not wanting to upgrade because of marketing hype thinking a flagship bow will result in more animals harvested, but to reduce the headaches that this charger has been. 

fair enough, sounds like you've done what you can.....

Personally I can't weigh in on the reign. It bears a striking resemblance to the experience and prodigy, both of which I am familiar with. I can't remeber which model(s) they were having the limbs come apart on (their flagships around 2012 I think) but I haven't heard much about them lately in this regards. If you look on archerytalk there will be a ton of info on it, it sounds like it's been corrected though.

I don't shoot bowtech for one glaring reason. I simply hate their grip, for my hands it feels like I'm holding a 2x4 and feels really "blocky" to me. Others love it, it's just the one thing that really stuck out to me when I shot the previous mentioned bows, maybe it's different with the reign but I haven't shopped for bows since discovering xpedition. The draw cycle was good and back wall was solid, arrow release was smooth and handshock wa acceptable. But I could say that about anything lately, even the "speed" bows. If I didn't have my current set up I'd probably shoot PSE, Prime, Mathews and then hoyt in that order. Thats just me, if you like the grip and shoot it well by all means.... There's more and more companies coming out every year and limits are continuously being pushed. New Breed Archery comes to mind. Shoot them all, at these prices you owe it to yourself to find the very best fit for you....

I have one just punched my elk tag with it. I'll answer any questions you have. I had a Destroyer 340 which is basically an earlier/single limb 7" brace version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for offering up some info! So the micro tune function of the bow, how well does it work? That's the big thing I like about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back