Trail race

TylerH

Jan 12, 2013
I just signed up for my first ultra trail race.  It is a 28 miler that I have had my eye on for the last couple of years. Well I finally pulled the trigger and signed up. No turning back now. I was wondering if I could get some advice from some fellow trail runners out there.  What kind of inside secrets do I need to know about.  I got about 6 months to figure all this out.

Don't try to focus on keeping a specific pace....focus on consistent energy output.  You'll find a groove where your heart rate is right where your body likes it and you'll really start feeling good. 
Many folks will be so concerned about logging long runs and running up hills...but I'm telling you the steep downhills that come with many trail runs will suck the energy right out of your legs.  If your course will include some nasty downhill sections, make sure you train a lot for it and figure out a pace and stride length that your body likes for those sections. 
Oh....and if the course allows it, I always have a MP3 player loaded up with music to pump me up.

Lean in to the downhill sections and let gravity carry you; 'windmill' with your arms. It'll be a lot easier on your legs and knees than leaning back.

Thanks for the relies I really appreciate the help.  I am really excited for this race, and the journey it's going to be to get ready for it. It's going to be an interesting spring and early summer.

wow thats a run 28 miles these guys have given great tips but really with a distance that long its all in your head its a long time to think remember to use the natural flow of the landscape up hills like a train coast down. lean and bank on your turns enjoy your surroundings thats why your there the pain will come and go but as long as you have a can do no quit attitude and good training on similar tarrain you'll be fine 

Don't blow yourself out trying to run up the long, steep hills, and don't be afraid to walk up the steepest ones, the energy you save going up hills will really help later in the race. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back