Two blade broadheads

MT_mulies

Dec 28, 2012
Does anyone have any good suggestions for two blade broadheads, and what are your general thoughts on them?

I am a fixed blade for life guy.  As I had a mechanical failure that lead to me losing a nice buck in 2010.

I have been shooting the new broadhead that Steve Speck (S&S Archery/Pure Elevation has released.  Solid Broadhead Company.  They are made in the USA and are constructed of 100% steel.  They are a two blade design with bleeder blades.  The main blade is made from S30V stainless and is 1-1/8" in cutting diameter.  They are offered in 100gr and 125gr and come in two ferrule choices: standard or deep six for the new Easton arrows.  http://solid-broadheads.com/

They are not cheap at $75 per 3 heads but they are not a one and done head either.  They shoot great and are scary sharp.  I cut myself doing the hair test.  Lol.  I wasn't lucky enough to put one through an animal this year.  I hope to change that in 2013!

One thing I would like to see them release is an XL version with a wider cutting diameter. 

Here are pictures of my 125gr standard ferrule.  You would be hard pressed to break this thing.

Check out Alaska Bowhunting Supply (ABS) as well as VPA.  ABS has single and double bevels and the VPA's are doubles only.  ABS is pricey but they are well made and the company backs their products.  I have shot/shoot both and can attest to their lethality, durability, and flight.  They make most broadheads look like toys.  That said, the lighter heads (ABS) have machined holes that tend to have some wind noise. At the heavier weights, they are solid and silent.  The VPA's are all solid.  Their three blades are nasty too.  I will post a comparative picture shortly.  I am very confident with these broadheads. 

My disclaimer is that I shoot heavy arrow/broadhead combos and I am all about penetration, lethality, and terminal ballistics.  If you are a speed shooter, you will be less likely to tune and enjoy the two blades (my opinion only).  VPA and Alaska Bowhunting are worth looking into either way.

John

Added picture: L to R: 125g Montec, 125g. Shuttle T, 200g VPA 2-blade, 200g VPA 3-blade, 200g ABS single bevel 2-blade, 315g ABS forged stainless 2-blade

Attachments

• IMG_8514.jpg
    IMG_8514.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8514.jpg
    IMG_8514.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3
I shot the Ulmer Edge mechanicals last year on a deer hunt and was impressed.  These would be the on mechanicals I'd use.  Don't like the design of any others.  Hopefully I'll see how they perform on elk this year.

Check out Strickland Archery Helix Arrowheads.

I bought their 155 gr and will be trying them come January on an AZ javelina with my recurve.

If you're looking at a two blade broadhead, I would go with a single bevel design from ABS or Red Feather Archery.  RFA also has a 3 blade single bevel broadhead I really want to try.

The Helix from Strickland Archery is a single bevel two blade broadhead. You can get it with a left or a right bevel depending on your vanes.

Any good single bevel will do the job.  I've harvested a few elk with my recurve and wood arrows tipped with several different 2 blabes heads.  Some expensive some cheaper and I couldn't notice any difference.  In the end though I've taken 20+ bulls with my muzzy 125s(3 blade) They always open and as long as the arrow goes where its supposed it tendies for dinner!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back