Uncertain

HinCo

Nov 22, 2020
Hello All, Harold here. I am class of 76 sonic am sure I have quite a few years on many. Originally from upstate NY and Maine. Hunted for over 40 yrs, whitetails. I relocated to Co in 2014., Work for DoD, sent to Germany for 2 yrs and finally and able to dedicate time to Elk hunting. Went this year, had some pretty nerve racking experiences but discovered I am hands on learner. I read and study all I find, but in the field I have all kinds of uncertainty and 2nd guessing. Have been acquiring PPs for 6-7 yrs, but do not want to waste them until I feel at least a little confident. I am not even sure where to start asking questions. I also hunt alone. I know this makes things extremely challenging but things are what they are. Just thought I would throw this out there. Any recommendations suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My compass is spinning and I need some direction. Thanks. H

Harold, it sounds like you are on the right track. I would do the same thing and save points for another year or two until you can feel more comfortable and get more experience. In the meantime, continue to learn as much as you can. There is a lot of good information here as well as other forums. Another thing I would recommend is the University of Elk Hunting Online Course that Corey put together here on Elk101. That thing is loaded with information. I went through it after having hunted elk for over 20 years and still picked up some good tidbits. He normally has some good promo codes out there to save money on the course, but I believe Forums10 will save you 10%.

Other than that, experience is the big thing. Learn as much as you can each time you go out. Even experienced hunters make mistakes each year, but if you learn from those mistakes you'll be better each year. 

I hope that helps! Fire away with any other questions you have though and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Thanks CoHunter.
I have signed up and am reading, studying the University of Elk Course from Corey. It IS loaded with info. Just been a long time since this lack of confidence. But as you say, I guess that comes from experience.

Take care and good luck.
H

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back