Unit 11 Late Season Cow Colorado

Elk Noob

Aug 15, 2016
Hey Everyone.

I've got a late season cow tag for Unit 11. I've done a ton of searching online and google earth etc. for places to go, but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience in this unit? Looking at recent late season success it seems that the success rate is pretty high.

I was hoping we'd have plenty of snow up high and the elk would be migrating down lower, but I'm thinking that likely won't be the case this weekend.

If anyone has any tips and doesn't want to share online feel free to send me a message.

I'll be hunting solo as usual, just looking for a cow for the freezer as I ate tag soup for my other seasons.

Well, I went out to Unit 11 this past weekend to little success.

If I had a deer or pronhorn tag I could have filled those hundreds of times over. I did manage to find some elk, the problem is those elk were on private land and there was seemingly no way to get on public that was near that land.

I think this unit could be a really good spot if the weather up higher would cooperate a bit. Right now there is barely any snow up high, and I don't think the elk have moved down to this area yet.

My other observation was that the northern end of this unit is a completely different type of hunting to me. It is very flat, and there is no forest etc. I spent my time driving around looking through Bino's vs. putting in miles on the ground. I certainly wouldn't want to hunt this Unit during the earlier seasons.

Elk Noob said:
Well, I went out to Unit 11 this past weekend to little success.

If I had a deer or pronhorn tag I could have filled those hundreds of times over. I did manage to find some elk, the problem is those elk were on private land and there was seemingly no way to get on public that was near that land.

I think this unit could be a really good spot if the weather up higher would cooperate a bit. Right now there is barely any snow up high, and I don't think the elk have moved down to this area yet.

My other observation was that the northern end of this unit is a completely different type of hunting to me. It is very flat, and there is no forest etc. I spent my time driving around looking through Bino's vs. putting in miles on the ground. I certainly wouldn't want to hunt this Unit during the earlier seasons.

At least it wasn't a wasted trip. Sounds like you found a new antelope and deer spot.
Shame the snow isn't cooperating. Does that tag go later into the season or is it done?

This tag is for the entire month of December, but I will likly be missing a couple weekends to go back to Chicago for xmas, and California for work.

I'll be back out hunting next weekend, and if nothing happens will be out there for the last weekend in December.

I'm hoping this little cold snap and snow this week brings the elk down lower.

Like I said earlier, this is a hunt that is completely foreign to me. I typically spend my time hiking 10+ miles a day and this past weekend I had no reason to even get out of the truck.

So did you take 318 northwest out of Maybell? Get a blk map. GMU11 is on the south side of 318. Plenty of public land. I would stay north of 40 if it was me. Do not give up they will be there.

Rdub, I sent you a PM, but quick answer yes I was northwest out of Maybell near Cross Mountain.

Looks like you are getting some good advice. The situation could change overnight when the winter migration kicks in

I agree about the good advice. Thanks everyone.

I'll be back out this weekend and will report back with results.

Well, no luck this weekend. Man was it cold out there. Saturday morning was 5* with a windchill that put it into the negatives, and Sunday was even colder...

I did get out of the truck and actually put in some good miles hiking around. I will say, the elk were certainly there, however they weren't this past weekend. All of the sign I found, and there was a lot, was at least a week to 2 weeks old.

It looks like I might not be going to CA this weekend for work, so I'll be back out again and will likely go to that same area as I think it's just a matter of time before they are back there.

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions everyone.

Preparation and persistence with a little luck mixed in is all you need now. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back