Water?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
I have used a water bladder in my day pack for several years and plan to continue. Planning on doing a few backpack trips for several days and the bladder inside my pack just doesn't seem to work. I use a small pack and plan on going ultra lite with gear. I will carry a Pro Hiker or maybe a Sawyer mini but wondering HOW or WHAT everyone uses for extended trips. Also thinking about going old school and using a military canteen again...???

I take a 3L water bladder as well as a 1L nalgene bottle. That way if water is scarce, I can still hunt and cook my freeze dried without shortage between filling up.

I use the platypus bladder system. With the platypus you can adjust your water bladder to the size you will need for that trip. Extra bladders are pretty cheap and come in sizes ranging  .5L up to I believe 3 liter. They are also very light which makes it easy to carry extra in your pack in case you find water hard to come by and want to carry more with you when do find a source. If my tent happens to be set up away from water when I’m packed in I will carry 3-4 empty 1 liters bladders in my pack and fill them on my way back to camp at night.  For a Filter I use the katadyn Hiker. There are some lighter options out there but I like to have the ability to pump water out of a pool.  Last year water was limited in the area we were in so we used rocks to damn up a small spring and pump water out. Without a pump it would have been very difficult to fill a bottle. 

Thanks guys, when I said bladder I was referring to a camelback bladder with the tube. I do not like carrying the camelback with a regular pack. It works great for a day pack but not a bigger backpack set up. I am now looking at some evernew bladders. The are compatible with the Sawyer Filter threads and will allow carrying some extra water. Really just hope to find a campsite with water nearby but that may not be the option following elk.

Bought a 1 Liter Platapus bladder today then ordered 2 900 mil Evernew bladders online so I think I got the bladder issue covered...lol

I carry my MSR filter with me and can fill a bladder from anything.

Gravity models are great when you have a stream/faucet to fill from.....

hank4elk said:
I carry my MSR filter with me and can fill a bladder from anything.

Gravity models are great when you have a stream/faucet to fill from.....
Agreed. Good to mention. 

I take a Katadyn Hiker with me in new country or on above treeline hunts for that reason. 

I use a 3L Platypus bladder and will be bringing a Nalgene bottle as well.  Aquamira drops are the way to go for quick treating of water and I use a MSR water filter that will fill up my 6L Dromedary.  I cannot believe how having water readily accessible has made me feel so much better! 

For my 10 day archery elk hunt hast year, I had a 100oz. Camelback bladder, a 4liter MSR Dromedary bag, a 32oz. Nalgene bottle and a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter. This set up worked extremely well, because we had access to a creek right from our camp. The Hiker Pro is a great little filter because it's light and compact. I even threw it in my pack while I was out hunting and used it a couple times while hunting. You can never have too much water[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back