well I'm done

tkruk

Dec 28, 2012
I've been exercising for the last two years getting ready for elk season. Last year had all the rain for two weeks and now this year is over for me. I completely tore my achilles tendon and have to have surgury on june 30th. This means my elk season is over. But I will continue to do upper body stuff and shooting my bow. Have any of you experienced this? I'm hoping I can hobble to a ground blind to do some deer hunting this year. Those of you exercising becareful and don't play basketball when your 57 years old and are training for an elk hunt

When I was in my early 40's I had a hernia operation 2 weeks before the bow hunt. I got out but it was slow and easy hiking. I didnt get an animal but I still had fun being at elk camp with the boys. I was able to bugle with in 100 yards or so a couple elk. I would go but take it easy and slow and enjoy camp.

I agree after 50 you have to watch the sports you do  :)

one year broken arm ,no bow hunting but took both deer and elk with arm in cast , another year torn cartlidge in knee , no stoping me a few painful steps but still took both deer and elk, 3 years ago torn rotator  cuff in shoulder ,couldnt pick my arm up over my head but could still pull a bow, took both deer and elk that year also, If im in a wheel chair odds a still good im going hunting

Man I feel bad for ya, keep at the upper body, you could probably even try to do some rowing to keep up on your cardio. I hope you can find a place you will be able to hobble into and kill a few animals. Good luck on your recovery.

My achilles it torn in two. Surgery is next monday. 6 weeks in cast and crutches with no pressure on it at all. then 6 weeks in walking boot and crutches with some weight on it. then 6 months of rehab. Hopefully I'll be able to run and jump again after all is said and done. The problem I'm going to have is not overdoing it and reinjuring it. I've been known to overdo things according to all my friends and family.

september 2010 was loading horses to head to idaho crushed my hand,  and crushed the end of my index (trigger finger off) made it to the tree stand with intense therapy by december for white tails ill post pics of the damage in a couple days i have them around some place

That could be the type on injury that might stop me. It takes a lot to keep this old man down though. I've had a hernia for 8 years now, and it getting pretty big. I doubt i'll ever get it fixed. I broke my back a few weeks before a hunt a few years ago. I still hunted. I could go on and on about injuries, but I don't want to bore you all to death.

It's just part of elk hunting when you become an old fart.

Sorry to hear your bad news, but my buddy last year had bypass surgery 30 days before our cow elk hunt. It was slow and I did most of the lifting when we filled our tags. But he was still able to go and fill a tough draw tag.

My biggest problem with the achilles tendon is that you can't walk. It is not one of these things that you can tough it out. My left foot does not move it just hangs there. Surgery is required and until the middle of august I will be in a cast and I will not be allowed to put ANY wieght on my foot. Then for a month and a half I can put some weight on it with a walking cast and crutches. It will be the middle of october before I can try to walk without crutches.  I hate to use the word CAN'T but my foot does not work no matter how tough I might be without a foot it is hard to get around in elk country when no motorized vehicles are  allowed.

Sorry man that sucks.  Did just have someone right in front of me tear his a few weeks back playing ball.  Keep your head up and keep at it.

Don't ever give up, I felt bad for a guy one day that was 20 yds off the main road in a wheel chair. I thought to myself well at least he is out and trying. Little did I know that there was a small seep right there, for a week he was sitting off the road everytime we went by. I'll be danged if he didn't kill a cow elk off that little seep. Keep your head up, and I hope your recovery is quick!

RUTTIN said:
Don't ever give up, I felt bad for a guy one day that was 20 yds off the main road in a wheel chair. I thought to myself well at least he is out and trying. Little did I know that there was a small seep right there, for a week he was sitting off the road everytime we went by. I'll be danged if he didn't kill a cow elk off that little seep. Keep your head up, and I hope your recovery is quick!

I love hearing stories like this. Thanks.

I had a friend that fell off some scaffolding and blew up his calcaneus.  He found a wallow that he could get into in a walking boot.  Wouldn't you know he ended up with a beautiful 360 bull .

Surgery was successful bad news for next 2 weeks I have to lie on my side with leg in the air. Then 6 weeks in a cast with no weight on it. Then 6-8 more weeks on a walking cast. Then 6-9 months of rehab. It will be til the first of November til I can walk without Crutches

Super sorry to hear about the injury. I think basketball is a PETA lovers sport because it takes many a hunter out of the hunts from injury than any other sport! I'm not sure if posting trail cam and success pics will make it easier, but hopefully you'll come back next season and get the bull of a lifetime!!

this put me out of elk in 2010 but i still made the end of white tail hang in there brother ( they arent in the right order and yes im a righty)

Attachments

• 61260_474139250019_5428692_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 62857_473418750019_617356_n.jpg
    62857_473418750019_617356_n.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 62857_473418755019_6633801_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back