What are your Practice Tips

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
What are some of your practice tips that you employ to get ready for the real deal?  I do the sitting, kneeling, wearing my gloves/coat thing, shoot a single, first arrow that really "counts", sprint/do exercises and shoot while being winded and practice the rapid release (within 5 seconds) as variations.  I am wondering what other tricks people do to get ready.

Just shooting a lot and farther than I do for whitetails and at different angles: uphill, downhill.

I shoot out over 100 yards and shoot while winded....if I plan on hunting out of a tree stand I will find a place where I can hang it to practice. If I think about it I will shoot kneeling and squatting......

I like to do what jimbow does. I shoot farther than I normally would to build confidence at close shots and to help it make the close shots a lot easier.

I do all sorts of stuff to practice. I shoot out to 120 regularly. I shoot in all sorts of positions. I even practice shooting from my back and shooting my right handed bow left handed.

I forgot to add shooting with your loaded pack on as well and your face mask if you use one.  a few years ago, my buddy had a hair trigger release and didn't practice with his gloves on.  Fast forward to hunting season and he had his arrow prematurely release at a 6 point satellite at 10 yards, completely missing him.  To make matters worse, he went on to miss a cow at 20 yards for the same reason.  He now has a new release with a stiffer set point and practices with his gloves on.

Practice on uneven ground.  Not just sloped shots but stand on rocks, sticks, anything uncomfortable, etc because you rarely get nice flat surfaces to stand on when you're in the woods.

I hit as many 3-D archery tournaments as possible.  You are confronted with many shot opportunities and have the added pressure of performance.

Pactice doesn't make perfect. Prefect Practice Makes Perfect.
I video myself shooting my bow to see if there is anything I can improve on. Since I started doing that I have caught so many mistakes that I had no idea I was making.

Like all have said shoot in all different positions and shoot alot,alot,alot.If you have trees to shoot around that too.

I dont really practice much with all, and I mean all my gear on and it almost cost me this year. I went to go full draw and couldnt get my bow back twice ...... Yeah figured out my bugle tube was between my elbow and my pack LOL. If I would have preacticed this may have not happened. I like to practice at long range, makes the closer shots fell even closer.

Not a practice tip but what I do is chase groundhogs with my bow all summer. Helps with my stalking skills and shooting something other than a dot. Plus helps out the farmer. win - win
KJ

I practice year round using mainly a wild pig target. I shoot in shorts, heavy coat, backpack loaded, etc. I figure if I can do those things and still hit where I am aiming on a smaller target at 80 yards then I should be good. Practicing at steep angles is something I want to get into more, but the area I live in is really flat.

I don't have an area where I can practice a lot at longer ranges so there are quite a few shots taken at 8-10 yards really focusing on form for me.
I also routinely shoot in different positions with a pack on.

I shoot local 3d tournaments in the off season and I try to practice as much as I can.  Also helps to practice holding at full draw for long periods of time

I don't shoot any competitive shoots because they're not any thing like my hunting shots. The way I hunt my shots happen in seconds requiring draw aim shoot as fast as you can. So I practice that way only. I also practice this fast shooting sitting in a chair, sitting on the ground, kneeling on the ground, and of coarse standing. I also practice this way in the woods shooting around trees and out of bushes and tall grass. I also shoot the first shot like it's the only one I get. I can't shoot many shots back to back due to shoulder surgery so I make every shot a serious hunting shot. I also practice in heavy wind so I know how different winds move my arrow. At the end of my practice session I also hold the bow at full draw as long as I can and keep trying to increase my full draw hold time and then I draw and let down five times in a row to try and make that as fluid as possible. I also practice by killing a lot of does and fawns. Where I live we're encouraged to kill as many does and fawns as possible and sence I eat venison every day this practice and food is extremely beneficial. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back