What Broadhead for Elk?

Mountain Bowhunter

Jan 2, 2013
I can't believe this thread has not been started yet so here goes.  I have seen elk hunters hammer time and again not to use mechanicals on elk but I thought I would post it here.  What broadhead do you use for elk?

Im pretty sure there was a thread on this that I already responded to??? I use the Montec g-5 85 grain and love them. Probably going to switch up to a heavier G-5 though.

Wacem tritons 100gn. I shot a cow at 55 yards breaking 2 ribs and a pass through, still buried 2 inches into a fir tree.

I have the G5s but thinking of switching to shuttle t because my G5s sort of plane a little. I would prefer to not have to adjust my sight from field points to broadheads if possible.

Can't use mechanical broad heads in Oregon..  I started out using the muzzy  MX-3. But im switching to the g5 montecs next year for elk.

there seems to be a common theme here of a cut on contact head.  And looks like most recommend the g5 montec.  I am going to have to consider those.

man well it's lookin like i might be gettin a set of montecs.  I saw one video where the guy was showing the cut through leather and saying it wasn't that great, but they seem to be pretty popular

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back