What has been your average yardage for archery harvests for Elk?

Jeremiah Johnson

Dec 29, 2012
I hunt in the jungles of North Idaho and Nwest MT, so just seeing an Elk over 25 yds can be a challenge at times. My average has been 16 yds....

I would say 30 yards is about average.

Longest shot has been 43 yards and closest shot has been 8 yards.

First bull years ago was 25 yards, second was 40 yards and third I called right to me and had to shoot him in the chest at point blank range in self defense maybe 5-10 yards. Unfortunately I have hit one at 55 yards which I shoot at all year while practicing but in the end not always a good distance to shoot especially when the wind is blowing and when you do not take the time to take everything into account.

my average shot is 25 yards.. my closest was 3 yards my longest was 50 ..when I first started I only shot 25 yards... my third year out I could have shot 2 different bulls (big Bulls) if I could have shot out to 50 yards.. I like being up close best and like a 30 yard shot if i can get one... If I can range it and everything else is perfect I'll take longer shots

Between 20 and 35 yards.  Watched 2 arrows sail over one standing broadside at 45 yards because I didn't range him with a rangefinder and severely overestimated his distance.  There may have been some "bull fever" going on as well :-\

4 between 27 and 29 yards.  Practice to 60, but have never had the need to use those more distant pins.

Closest was 4 yards (2) and longest was 62yrds  ( I thought I had hit him the first shot which turned out to be a clean miss, smoked him the second). My average for all would be about 30.

2010 Had two bulls within 40 yards, 2011 had a herd of cows/calves within 17 and a bull at 32 yds, 2012 shots my bull 36 yards = average being 31.25 yards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back