What stove/cook set combo do you use

4mattmyers said:
jet boil flash..  works great...

X2 on the JetBoil after multiple years with the Pocket Rocket.  Still like the MSR Pocket Rocket due to its size, but since I primarily need a stove to boil water, the Jet Boil is amazing.  Look for one on sale (Cabelas, REI's, etc.) and consider the Titanium if you want to cut down on weight.  I like how everything fits inside the pot.

Attachments

• JetBoil2
    34.6 KB · Views: 45
  • JetBoil
    39.7 KB · Views: 44
JetBoil Sol Ti for me. Lighter and better burner than the JetBoil  Flash but not sure if its worth the extra $$$.

I use a Primus Ltech kettle and a Brunton Talon stove. I am pleased with it, but I need some sort of wind shield.

Jetboil has done fine for me...one canister will handle a week of breakfast and dinner.  Only issue is you have to warm the canister at high-altitude and cold...not a big deal, I throw it in the sleeping bag.

Pocket Rocket with a MSR Titan and a simple tinfoil windscreen. Lightweight, and everything fits in the pot. I get 10 days with 2 boils a day out of a 100gm canister.

I haven't found an off the shelf solution that I was happy with yet so I put together my own stove/cook set combo. It is a Snow Peak 600 titanium mug to use as a water boiling pot and a bowl for breakfast oatmeal. A lid for the 600 I found on the web. A Snow Peak 450 titanium mug for tea & coffee. An Esbit titanium foldable stove. 10 Esbit solid fuel tablets. A home made windscreen made out of a single use aluminum cookie sheet from the grocery store. Waterproof matches in a watertight case with striker on the side. An Optimus titanium spork. And, not pictured is a firesteel that also fits in the set.  I don't "cook" when I am hunting. I boil water for mountain house meals, instant oatmeal, and hot drinks. All of this nests in the SP 600 mug for a compact set that's 4" tall and 3.75" in diameter. The best part is the whole set weighs in at just over 14 oz.

Attachments

• cookset1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • cookset2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cookset3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
I use a Primus micro Ti.  Love the size, and heats awesome with a new bottle, but once the bottle gets a little low can take quite a while to heat.  Big fan of the Jetboil just haven't invested in one at this time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back