What strings?

mallard79

Dec 28, 2012
In our area it seems that winners choice gets the nod most often when getting new strings and cables. I was far from impressed with the set I had put on my bow. I went with a set of Octane strings and absolutely love them. What strings are on your bow now and what have you used in the past? Good or bad experiences with particular strings? Lets hear it.....

Does it really help to get a different string other then the stock one that comes on the bow? What is the advantage?

The stock strings that came on my bow I felt were not the best.
String strecth and peep rotation  :(  are not good for consitencey.

I've tryed Winners Choice, good strings in my opinion.  I'm not fond of the price though.

I've just received a set of Korbins to try.  I've herd good things about them,
We'll see.

I tried Vapor Trail strings this year and they were great. Didn't notice any stretch, nice and tite from the get go. Also they are very reasonably priced.

Bigrax82 said:
Does it really help to get a different string other then the stock one that comes on the bow? What is the advantage?
Longer lasting, color of choice and most important, no stretch after that first 100-200 arrows.

Stock strings are mass produced and are not made to the tightest tolerances and that is for a reason.  Bows and limbs have difference tolerances and no two bows are the same.  So that is why the strings are made the way they are.  So that they can make up for those differences between the bows and still function. 

That being said they stretch faster which results in the bow not being in tune/performing to it's best possible ability.  Peep rotation is also a problem.  Nothing like drawing back to realize your peep has turned and you cannot see your pins.

When you order an after market string and cable set from reputable custom stringmakers/tuners this is what you get.  They are made to order.  Usually in your choice of color combination.  In your choice of bowstring material.  With no time constraint so they are able to put in more attention to detail.  This tends to net better results from your bow (improved accuracy, more speed, no peep rotation, etc).

I will say that not all custom string makers are on the same level.  I personally wouldn't buy a Winner's Choice/Fuse/Octane custom string.  They might be custom but they still have the mass production mentality.  I would rather buy from a one man operation.  But that is just me.

I currently have a set of strings/cables from Roger Betterley on my bow.  I heard good things about his product so I was willing to give him a chance.  I haven't shot them very much yet but that's because I just recently got them.  I do like what I am seeing so far.  He isn't a member on this site but he is on ArcheryTalk.  Bro.Betterley is his username.

I have shot plenty of strings and for the past couple years I have shot strictly Piranha Bowstrings. The strings that came on my bows were thinner, used fewer strands and didn't last as long. They stretched far too quickly. The Piranha strings last twice as long and I really love the way they work with my set up.

Have had great luck with 60X.  The last set were 452X material and I have had great stability from them.  The serving is tight and well done and the string mounted up exactly right on my carbon matrix.

I tried Winners choices didnt last as long so I started making my own last set I made for my bow is 2years old and still going

I've always used Winners Choice strings on my bows and installed hundreds of sets of them when I worked in an archery shop.  I've never had any issue with them at all, and am planning to purchase another set here in the next month or so. 

Didnt realize Sidehill was out of Kelso washington. That First buck on the main page with the pink nose Im mounting  ;D  Might have to give them a try .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back