What's your Release

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
What release do you use and why?

I have gravitated to the Whalen's Hooker as I was hearing of so many getting target panic with trigger releases, that I wanted to learn back tension when I first started shooting.  The Hooker was intriguing and had no moving parts to get goofed up and the only downside is that the finger hole won't accommodate much of a thick glove.  I just wouldn't want to use it in November/December in real cold weather, but for Sept/Oct, it has not been an issue.

So, what is your favorite release and why?

Tru Ball release. the velcro wrist wrap has worked great no issue until this year the velcro wont hold like it used to. I'm going to uprgade to the one ewith the wrist buckle which should solve any issues. Great release for the price!

I have learned the hard way to shed myself of all velcro if at all possible.  Having a silent, sneaky bull blow out from 20 yards behind me when I opened a pocket was all it took.  That goes for release straps as well.

I use a tru ball but its really the only one I have tried.  I don't see much of a reason to try another.... how much different can they be?

Shooting back tension is a whole different approach.  Otherwise, I would agree as to the general concept of a release; grab D-loop, pull back, set off trigger, release arrow.  There are lots little details like how much tension needed to set off trigger, which finger, hook versus clip, etc. 

I would be interested in the difference between the wrist releases vs the hand held units.  It seems that a handheld would be more difficult to me.

I have always preferred the wrist component as it aligns the draw force more into my arm, shoulder and back, than in my hand.  It also lets me hold the draw longer.

I am shooting a Scott Silverhorn for hunting!!  Love it!  Shot a Tru ball caliper and liked it!!  Was always scared to use a hook release but broke down last off season!!  Man I wish I would have done it sooner!  Tighter groups!!  Shot a Tru ball thumb release!  Don't want to say I didn't like it!  I just shot the wrist better!  Thinking about shooting league this year with the Carter Attraction!!  It is a cross between a pull tension and a trigger!!  200 bills is just a hard one to stomach that first time though!! 

Scott Silverhorn. I can hook onto my d loop without looking alot easier, allowing me to keep a watch on whatever game I am after.

Scott Silverhorn with a buckle. No Velcro for me. I was able to increase my draw length by 1" with this release and by doing so I increased my speed, arrow weight and kinetic energy.
I have 3 of them. Two with me at all times and one spare at base camp.

I shoot the Carter Quickie 1 +.  Have used it for two years and absolute love the crisp pull (almost feels like a well adjusted trigger).  Very easy to hook on the D loop from the side. 

Carter insatiable + love thumb triggers as far as consistently you cant best them and I'm not at a back tension hunting level plus most times you can squeeze in a half inch or more in draw length and eliminate the kisser ...tip thought take it to a shop with your bow and get it set to you options are endless most people who hate em just didn't get em tuned to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back