When Do You Leave?

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
When do you head out for your elk hunt? What state are you heading to and for how long?

I'll be archery huntingColorado, but mainly weekend warrioring it. The first weekend I'll be out is the 8th-10th, but I'm hoping to get a weekday or two in before that. Overall I'm hoping to get 9-10 days of archery hunting in.

Our big trip is our first season rifle hunt in Colorado. We leave for that on the 12th and won't get back until the 18th.

Hey Derek.  My situation is a lot different this year.  I'll be headed to SW CO over Labor Day to put up cameras and a couple of ladder stands.  Yeah, sounds late but only time available for me.  I have a CO private land voucher that is a much longer season so plans are to hunt Sept 22 - 30 for the rut then can go back later if necessary.

Best of luck to you!

17 days!  My 1st ever LIMITED ENTRY elk hunt.  WY unit 11, type 9. 
e9e504a71ade95727ebd5e0690639319.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Not including today 9 days until open. Hunting NW Montana. Gonna do some nice day hunt first couple weekends then headed in for 6 nights 5 days. Pack in afternoon of the 12th come out to the real world around the 17th unless my plan works then much sooner!!

Got out last weekend, going back out tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm doing the weekend thing this year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I will be leaving North Dakota for New Mexico on October 20th for the 3rd rifle season. 17 hour drive right into opening morning. If I am fortunate enough to take a bull early, I will try and double up with an OTC mule deer in South Dakota on the way home. Going to be a great year!

My first elk hunt, actually first big game hunt period, and I am going to try and get it done with my bow. Headed up with my dad on the 9th. Got a good buddy to pack us in on horses. Can't wait.

jebuwh said:
My first elk hunt, actually first big game hunt period, and I am going to try and get it done with my bow. Headed up with my dad on the 9th. Got a good buddy to pack us in on horses. Can't wait.

Very cool that this will be your first big game hunt. Good luck!

I head out Sept. 13-20 with my 2 brothers who've never archery hunted. Should be a blast.

New to the forum I am hunting opening day in northern Alberta right now...... it's been a little slow.

Freerider said:
New to the forum I am hunting opening day in northern Alberta right now...... it's been a little slow.

Welcome to the forum, Freerider!
Good luck to you this year.  :D

Hunting my home state of Washington this year. I drew a bull tag in the Blue mtns of Washington (10 points/10 yrs). I leave on August 31, start hunting September 2nd, season is over September 21. I'm taking time off from work starting August 31 and might not go back until October 2  :eek: I have a lot of hunting to do  ;)

We will be in the high country the 9-16 here in Colorado. The rut will be kicking in & cooler weather will be to our advantage. Cannot wait!

Will be headed out the 8th of Sept for 2 weeks in the Missouri Breaks. Hope they get a little rain before then.

Normally I would be picking a hunter up at the airport the 2nd weekend of Sept to host the wounded warrior on an archery elk hunt. Monte Bruhn would pack us in on horses, and I would host 1 or 2 warriors for 7-10 days of hunting.This year it will be me with my new recumbent trike I got from the VA. I am trying something new. I don't walk very well any more, but I can ride a recumbent dirt trike. I leave the 9th after dropping my wife off at the airport. Family is coming in from Germany, Guam, Mississippi and we need meat. Please deer lord, help me get a small elk and a large whitetail deer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back