Who got a NM tag

82ndreddevil

Aug 17, 2017
Sorry to all those that applied for NM and didn?t draw a tag, we have all been there. Good luck if your waiting for results from another state!

I drew my second choice (53), I?m very happy!

I also drew 2nd choice Archery, unit 21a sept 15. First time taking my show on the road! Pretty excited. Any advice on my unit would be greatly appreciated. I?ve only ever hunted otcs so this will be weird possibly passing on a 6 pt. Thanks in advance!

All red on this years application. I guess I will be trying an OTC unit in Colorado. 82NDReddevil you better be doing the DTP workout  :train: cause 53 is no joke.

VTHOKEE said:
All red on this years application. I guess I will be trying an OTC unit in Colorado. 82NDReddevil you better be doing the DTP workout  :train: cause 53 is no joke.

Sorry you didn?t draw man. Don?t worry I know what 53 is like, ive back packed through it a few times over the years. And yea I?ll be prepared, I?m starting the same workout routine I used to prepare myself for the Florida mountains. Hit me up if you need a starting point for OTC in Colorado. I know an area that not a ton of people hunt. But the terrain does partially resemble 53 and you?ll be probably camped at 10k feet. So yes once you start climbing the air gets thin quick.

Good luck to everyone who drew!

Get those good hunts in before my brother and I throw our names in the mix and take all the good tags  :-D :-D :-D

No really congrats and get'm!!!

Struck out but landed a unit 33 muley archery tag.  Looks like we are headed to CO otc, or NM landowner prices, ouch. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

woodardd said:
Struck out but landed a unit 33 muley archery tag.  Looks like we are headed to CO otc, or NM landowner prices, ouch.

Same boat. Drew a 4th choice Archery Mule deer in unit 40, will probably hunt early Jan next year. Looks like another SLO tag for 2nd season archery elk in 53 again this year. Not a bad tag but in the last 20 years it's went from buying a tag once every 5 years to drawing a tag once every 5 years.

It'll be interesting to see the draw odds reports for this year.

sjl2012 said:
woodardd said:

Same boat. Drew a 4th choice Archery Mule deer in unit 40, will probably hunt early Jan next year. Looks like another SLO tag for 2nd season archery elk in 53 again this year. Not a bad tag but in the last 20 years it's went from buying a tag once every 5 years to drawing a tag once every 5 years.

If you are not familiar with unit 40, please PM me.... I used to live in that unit.

sjl2012 said:
woodardd said:

Sjl2012,
I?ve had both those tags and there is a lot of potential there. Are you a NM resident? Only asking that for ease of scouting purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sjl2012,
I?ve had both those tags and there is a lot of potential there. Are you a NM resident? Only asking that for ease of scouting purposes.

Nonresident. Abilene TX.  The Elk tag I'll be good on, may scout a time or two in July but I have several years worth of boots on the ground in 53. The deer tag should be interesting. I doubt seriously I'll be able to hunt in September, Wyoming general early then 2nd season NM. All of my deer choices were units with the Jan season just to be able to get that trip out there then..

I'll take you up on that Dan after turkey season. Bobby, neckofredness, said he'd help too. Should be an interesting hunt.

sjl2012 said:
  I'll take you up on that Dan after turkey season. Bobby, neckofredness, said he'd help too. Should be an interesting hunt.

It's interesting for sure, but there are some great deer hidden around there. They know the property borders fairly well, but come January you'll find them all over. I've got a few small pockets of resident does that I could put you on to see if there are any bucks cruising through. I've also got a few places that are a little larger tacts and give some good glassing opportunities.

It's no walk in the park hunt, but there is a good chance you could get a shot off on a legal buck.

We drew 45. Pretty excited first time going to new Mexico.  Looks like some good backpacking areas to get into the wilderness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DRUSS said:
We drew 45. Pretty excited first time going to new Mexico.  Looks like some good backpacking areas to get into the wilderness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You'll definitely be able to get off the road in that unit!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back