Who Has Their Day to Day Hunt Planned?

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
Who knows exactly where they're going and what they are doing on Day 1 of their hunt? How about Day 2? How many days do you have a plan for? Or do you just wing it once you get there?

I was just thinking about this on my run last night. I have been in the same spot the past 5 years and will be there again this year. I think I'll pick up right where I left off last year and hit the same drainage. I've got a certain loop in mind and a few nap spots to hit along the way. Back at camp after dark, of course.
I have a 10 day hunt planned and enough places to stay busy/productive every day. I'll probably plan days 2, 3, 4 etc. as I see what unfolds.

I have "areas" or hikes planned out. My first 3 are the same type of area just at different elevations to see if I can locate the elk. After that it's pretty much a crapshoot depending on what I've learned day 1-3. In a new unit this year I have 15 different areas ranging from a 100 acre hillside to a 7 mile canyon. Of course that can all go out the window by day 1 and I could be on the other side of the unit.

I have my OTC opening morning planned.

I also have my LE first day strategy planned.

After that, its up to the elk

Pretty much...I believe I can get in day one and find Elk!  I have at least ten (10) days to hunt, with a few more in reserve if needed... :wtf:

I know exactly where I will be at first light on opening day. I can feel the chill already.

Interesting looking spot Randy. I have to assume the elk tend to come up and over that small saddle to your right? Or come from the left to that saddle?

cnelk said:
I have my OTC opening morning planned.

I also have my LE first day strategy planned.

After that, its up to the elk

Brad, you say it's up to the elk. If you aren't seeing or hearing anything Day 1, do you have a Day 2 strategy in place? I'm curious to know on both your LE and OTC hunts.

Derek
If I?m not hearing or seeing elk doesn?t mean they aren?t there.
Opening morning I?ll do a 4 mi loop to get a feel of what?s going on in the area.
I probably won?t bugle unless I hear a bugle.
I?ll do more cow mews than anything

But I only have a otc cow tag too :)

In the LE unit a week later, strategy will be to gain elevation and listen and call some.
I?ve found it best to get a feel of the ?elk barometer? before going in full steam.

That?s what I mean when I say it?s up to the elk.

Derek, both left and right as well as straight ahead. That is an elk super highway when the conditions are right. :clap:

The place we usually start with had some logging activity recently. The logging is done and my parents have some cameras in there and are getting elk photos but not like in years past. The sign isn't really overwhelming at the moment but they have a few weeks to move back in there. It's an area that I have hunted for years and in only one of those years were there no elk there throughout the season. If the sign doesn't get more abundant I may hunt a different area for the opener. 

One of the reasons I asked this is I've noticed that when I have a plan of where I'm going to go each day until I find elk, it seems to make it way easier to not get discouraged or down if things aren't going well. Instead, I'm going to stick to my plan and keep going until I find them. When I don't have a plan, it's way easier to sit there and say 'I have no idea where the elk are, I have no idea where to go, etc'. Just my two cents!

I agree from my first day set up I can glass a lot of territory and have seldom not seen elk. This motivates me to keep working the plan.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back