Who packs a saw or hatchet for processing in the field

Jeremiah Johnson

Dec 29, 2012
I have used all sorts of methods through the years, 1 hatchet, 2 hatchets and various saws. I have now settled on the Wyoming Game saw for the last few years.It is a little heavy but when needed it wont fail.

I use a saw and always have a hatchet. Never used the hatched, but have used the saw numerous times. I started a thread before I saw this on the type of saw I use. It is Fiskars power tooth sliding saw. It is light, sharp and durable.

I carry a Wyoming Saw for the antlers and use the Gutless method.  If you haven't tried this, check out the video on Elk101.com.  I won't ever go back to gutting and quartering with a hatchet or saw.

I usually carry a good folding saw!  Finally bought a havalon knife this year so I really don't need to carry a sharpener anymore!  Another thing I added to the pack this year is a swing blade!  First few cuts down the legs when skinning and quartering are awesome with them!!  Broke my Browning folding saw so if any one knows of a good replacement let me know!!  I went with a Gerber and bent the blade on the first animal this past season!!!

I don't carry either. I could see the advantage of a lightweight saw that would have multiple uses around camp and processing, especially a bull.

I only carry a light weight folding saw (Gerber) but have a Wyoming saw in camp as they are very good but too heavy to carry around all day for me.  With the gutless method you really don't need a saw for meat if you have a heavier bladed knife to cut off the quarters.  I typically only need a saw for cutting off the antlers and practically I could just leave the saw at camp since you usually have to shuttle meat back to camp anyway.  So I practically could just leave the folding saw out of the day pack but I think I bring it out of habit.

I only carry a small folding saw, as with a few on here, I have been doing the gutless method. I use the Havalon Piranta knife and carry a few extra blades. I can do my entire elk with just this knife. The saw is normally used if I'm making a quick ground blind.  ;D
KJ

Folding saw and gutless. I use the saw for cutting limbs, making blinds and sawing antlers.
I consider it a survival tool and it is a lot safer than swinging an axe.

I usually take a sog game kit with me into the field.  It includes a saw with a few different blades.

I carry the Wyoming saw everywhere I go. Great tool not only for antlers but you never know when you may need to put it to use for something else. If I am not far from base camp I will leave it in my bigger pack. I take a couple different knives and a small sharpening stone tool. Usually use the gutless method and cape and cut out antlers or take the whole head and let the taxidermist deal with it depending on the situation.

I carry a cohglan folding saw,i have used it to saw off legs,heads,antlers.It has sawed the legs and such off of dozens of deer and elk over the years.

I dont pack a swa when Im hunting , I really dont have a use for it. You can splt joins with a knife easily . At camp I will have a saw though.

I always carry a little extendable blade saw in my pack just in case I need one to cut some firewood etc.  Used it once on an elk, but it wasn't made for it... Got the job done though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back