Winchester 70 ewss or a tikka t3x laminate

Mmiles09

Aug 8, 2017
Winchester 70 ewss or tikka t3x laminate stock. First time going out to colorado next year. I havnt fully decided on a caliber just yet. Honestly odds are 7mm, 300 win or 338 win. (Shot em and can handle em ). Any input on guns guys?
Thanks

Mmiles09,

I only have experience with the tikka so I'll touch on that. 

I put together a "go to" hunting rifle in 2015.

Tikka T3 lite in .270wsm. The thing drives tacks with out of the box ammo.  I put a nice scope on it, sighted it in, and shot every hash out until 719 yards (until I ran out of range). It nailed steel every shot.  It's a very solid gun and can take whatever I throw at it.

https://youtu.be/9R3-3KEjpmA

I personally think tikka is a great rifle to buy.  It's a fair priced shooter and has that sub MOA guarantee. 

I do recommend.... if you get the tikka, buy the $12 limbsaver buttpad to replace the stock buttpad.  You'll thank me later. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the input. Just now looking at the price from a lite to laminate is almost half price on gunwatcher.com so i might lean that route.i need to go to a big box store and start holding them. And thanks for the input on the butt pad

Mmiles09 said:
Thanks for the input. Just now looking at the price from a lite to laminate is almost half price on gunwatcher.com so i might lean that route.i need to go to a big box store and start holding them. And thanks for the input on the butt pad

I think it's good to pick a goal weight for what you want for an overall weight in the gun.
That might help you pick in what direction you want to go.
I mentioned I wanted an all around "go to" gun, so I needed it to be light enough I could carry 12-15 miles a day, but heavy enough for me to shoot well. I suck at shooting super light weight guns...

The tikka T3 lites comes in approx less than 6.5lbs. So I opted to put on a heavier rail, scope, and rings to bring the weight up.

But if you want a lighter weight gun then you can outfit it with less heavy scopes and rings and easily get the overall weight under 8lbs.

Picking between the two is like picking between a ford and a chevy. You have the right mindset of going and checking them out in person. Hold them, shoulder them, work the action, and get a feel for the safety. One should jump out more than the other at that point.

As far as caliber, I would personally say there is no reason to go with more than a 300 Win Mag. You can kill an elk at 1,000+ yards with that caliber if the gun and shooter do their job. No need for more than that. And by the way, this is coming from a guy who shoots a 300 RUM. I love the ultra mag, but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the 300 win.

Howdy. 

I'll vote for the Tikka.  I also have a 270WSM In a Tikka T3.  I am with "DTP" on this one.  Once you have one and shoot it, there's no turning it in for sure!!!  It shoots sub .5 MOA out of the box. Very few production rifles can touch that. IMHO, if I can't make any rifle shoot sub MOA, it won't stay in my safe!!! I have high demands on knowing EXACTLY where my bullets are going. I'm not going to pass down to my son and grandson anything less that. I am NOT going to let them inherit a crappy shooting rifle!!!!

I.E.  You could spend a whole lot more $$$ and not get this accurate a rifle!!!  Go Tikka.

Later.........

If accuracy, durability and weight is your sole reason for buying a rifle then you need to look no further than a $350 ruger American. Most, if not all factory guns these days are shooting sub Moa, even in the cheapest price points. A m70 ew and tikka are two very different rifles imo. If you have the funds to consider a 1000$ rifle I'd look hard at kimber. It's a model 70 action only much better built. Tikkas are fine guns, I'd never own one in a short action though for simple fact that you don't gain anything. All tikkas are built one one size action so the normal weight savings you'd get on a regular short action is moot on a tikka. As I understand it they use the exact same barrels and steel on tikkas that they do on the much higher priced sakos which would explain the accuracy. I love tikkas for what they are.... work horses that drive tacks. They also have a great factory stock for a "Tupperware" stock. There's a ton of companies out there making aftermarkets to. My biggest gripe is they only offer clips and I can't afford to lose one of those on a 9 day hunt. I love blind mags. If you go tikka 1st thing I did is ditch the plastic bolt shroud.

As far as caliber you listed I'm a huge .284 fan so 7mm would get my vote, certainly not a 338 though unless brown bears are in the future.

Buy something that you can tolerate and afford to shoot all year also. Nothing drives me up the wall more than when a buddy buys a 300super ultra double magnum whatever and then buy 1 box of 20 rounds per year (at $90 a box) to check the zero and goes hunting. Guys like Randy Newberg are doing a majority of their elk hunting w/ a .308.

Tikka T3 in 300WSM is hands down my favorite rifle, nothing else I own/have owned really comes close.  I can grab any box of ammo off the Cabela's shelf and that thing just drives tacks all day.  You can't go wrong...only negative input you'll probably find on the web on the T3 is the polymer magazines....but I've used and abused mine for 9 years and haven't had a single issue.

I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM. This is the best rifle I have ever owned. I am not an expert on rifles but I love this gun. It is light, accurate, and dependable. I just need to find a couple more backup magazines.

I too own a Tikka T3Lite but it's a 270 Winchester... The rifle is a lot more accurate than I am, easy to handle and for me points just like my trusty duck gun...

I have the T3 light in 30-06 and love it. I just got home from the range a few hours ago after not shooting since last Oct. I doubt that I will ever shoot as well as The rifle is capable of. First three shots today were .75". I concurewith DTP on the limb saverbutt pad.The light rifles are somewhat punishing to shoot but a dream to carry when climbing mountains at 10,000ft. One thing of note though, after more than two quick rounds it seems to lose some accuracy as the barrel heats up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back