Wool Clothing?

josiahpeters

Jan 2, 2013
For a budget hunter like me, every purchase matters to me. I've been looking around for a good set of go to hunting pants and jacket. I want to get something that will work in August in Idaho when it can be warmer but will also work in November when layered with the proper base layers with possible snow.

I want to get something made out of wool because it breaths, has great insulation properties when wet, and sounds natural when moving around in the woods unlike my gortex pants I wear in the snow.

I was hoping to pick up a pair of these http://www.firstlite.com/product_detail/14/gila-pant but they seem to have been discontinued and I can't find an XL anywhere.

What other wool products are out there besides the real stiff Cabelas wool products and their Wooltimate line up?

Keep and eye on camofire.com once in a while they have wool clothes pop up on there. Bought a merino wool shirt off there by core4 and it worked great during archery season and my rifle deer hunt.

Primitive said:
Keep and eye on camofire.com once in a while they have wool clothes pop up on there. Bought a merino wool shirt off there by core4 and it worked great during archery season and my rifle deer hunt.

Awesome, this is like woot.com for hunting gear!

look up dealsucker and go to the outdoor link in the drop down menu and there is all kinds of things for sale and it combines all the deal a day sites.

With the proper layering you can get most anything to work well. The First Lite if you can find them will work fine, as would the KUIU pants or Sitka pants as well.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
josiahpeters said:
I was hoping to pick up a pair of these http://www.firstlite.com/product_detail/14/gila-pant but they seem to have been discontinued and I can't find an XL anywhere.

i think they're just called kanab pant now. at least they look the same

They do look the same, though the "light-weight" scared me away. I'm always worried about buying clothes over the internet for fit. Hopefully I can find a place nearby that has some I can check out. Thanks for pointing that out, somehow I overlooked it.

josiahpeters said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
josiahpeters said:

i think they're just called kanab pant now. at least they look the same

They do look the same, though the "light-weight" scared me away. I'm always worried about buying clothes over the internet for fit. Hopefully I can find a place nearby that has some I can check out. Thanks for pointing that out, somehow I overlooked it.

yeah their sizes are a bit mismatched for me.  I'm tall but I'm not fat. I wear a 34 waist 36 in seam so I've always had a hard time with pant sizes. I think I am going to call them and ask.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
yeah their sizes are a bit mismatched for me.  I'm tall but I'm not fat. I wear a 34 waist 36 in seam so I've always had a hard time with pant sizes. I think I am going to call them and ask.

The pants I usually wear are big in the waist and tight in the thighs. So an XL will probably be too lose in the waist whereas a large would be too tight in the thighs.

I've tried emailing First Lite before and never heard back from them. I wonder if they have a retail store where their mailing address is on their website because Ketchum, ID is only a few hours drive from me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back