Wyoming Elk Hunts

Kmbingham92

Dec 30, 2012
Okay I have 6 points in Wyoming and looking at a couple options I have for this year or next. I can draw area 61 with 6 but will need a guide or I can score unit 78 special tag which is a blue chip area but will still need a guide. Any information on these units or some other hunts anyone would recommend in Wyo would be great. I may just try for the general tag and hunt 102 while on my mule deer hunt in unit G.

I pasted my post that I put in the General elk hunting board but should probably have been here.  I've tagged along with a friend in Unit 7 which you could draw with max pts.  It depends on what type of hunt you're looking foras it didn't seem like there were many areas to pack into.  I saw more elk sign there than anywhere I've hunted for over 30 years so there are lots of elk there but also a bit challenging due to the private/public checkerboard land patterns.  ****************I have 1 less than max pts in WY and probably want to hunt in 2014 or soon after.  I tagged along with a buddy several yrs ago in Unit 7 so that's the only unit I'm familar with.  Lots of public/private checkerboard land which presents a challenge but it's "rated" as a top trophy unit.  We did see one 370 class bull and didn't get much time to hunt but we saw tons of sign.  He did pay a reasonable tresspass fee so we had some private to hunt on as well as public.  I'm thinking that I'd only be able to draw a good WY unit once in my life (currently in my late 50's) so I'm wanting a decent chance at a 330-350 type elk.  I do bow hunt as well as rifle and I do understand the WY application/regs relatively well.  I'd probably lean most toward a DIY hunt and I'm willing to put in the effort to research and I'm physically able to go most anywhere.  A drop camp might be another option I'd consider also assuming it'd be maybe $1500 or so.  So anyone have any suggested other units that might be good for me that I could draw in '14 or '15?    Doug

Is it worth the wait and building PP for Wyoming? Or do you think a general is the way to go? I have 1 point and plan on building them but I would rather be hunting!

Kmbingham92, Are you wanting to go DIY, or will go with a guide if you draw the right tag?  Are you a nonresident of WY?  If so, how far away for scouting purposes?  Just understand that even though the 2012 demand index shows that with max points you will draw, does not necessarily mean you will, as a LOT of hunters are just building points and use them intermittently. I thought I would pull my moose tag last year, as theprevious year a guy with less points drew the tag. This year, 3 guys with 1 MORE point put in, so statistically, it will now be another 2 years (or more). Have had several guys I know pull Unit 7 tags in the last 4 years, and their belief is that it is not as good as it was (increased tag #'s and the drought).
I have drawn an archery tag twice in the last 8 years in a "Marginal" unit (per Eastman's MRS). Brought home a dandy 8x7 and the next time passed on 3 in the 340+ range, as had my sights on an awesome 370'ish boy we called IncrediBull.  Came home empty handed but full of memories. My point is, find an area that you like and you can/will find quality elk.  My unit had a lot of wilderness, but I hunted outside this w/o a guide.  Mind you,  I spent 30 days scouting the unit over the summer, and it was only a 6 hr drive from the Denver area.

I am okay either way. I have done it both ways. The key has been the time I can dedicate to scouting. I will consider a guide so that I increase my odds of that 370 plus bull. I want to take a closet look at the Shirley basin area and see if there are some good opportunities there. I can usually get there at least a couple times to scout prior to the season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back