1st banded duck

Ol' Arky

Apr 24, 2014
I wish I had a picture but I don\'t...

Sunday morning my oldest grandson killed a banded wood duck... His 1st banded duck of his duck hunting career... I hope that is one of many more to come... :upthumb: :upthumb:

That is cool! I hope he does get more. I shot 2 banded birds in my short duck hunting experiences back in the mid 80\'s to early 90\'s.

He\'s got his band and hasn\'t called it in as of the last time I talked to him this past weekend... If he doesn\'t call it in soon I\'ll get the number and call it in for him...

For those interested, I reported the band and the drake wood duck was banded near Tripoli, Iowa 09/04/2012 and was a juvenile hatched in 2012.. So that would make him close to 4 1/2 years old... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

Cool deal and a wood duck to boot! Maybe wood ducks are not as hard to come by in your neck of the woods, but I have only ever shot 1 and didn\'t get it mounted. Been regretting that decision ever sine. I have only gotten 1 goose band and never seen a banded duck before. Seen hundreds of ducks hit the water and I\'m still convinced they\'re a myth...

Yep... We have a lot of wood ducks due to our area which consist of hardwood bottoms and cypress lined bayou\'s and lakes...

Congrats on the band. Many moons ago I used to duck hunt. I killed this Suzy back around 1991. I wasn\'t even duck hunting that day, just walking my grandpas farm for some rabbit and quail, she flushed out of a ditch. I cut the transmitter off and it said South Dakota State University. I called the band in and she had been banded in Brookings, SD. She also had two plastic disks wired in her nostrils.

Years ago several game and fish agencies did a tracking survey on ducks. They attached those little backpacks that had GPS transmitters in them so they could tell the location of the ducks all through out the years... The GPS on transmitted every so offend and the battery life was somewhere over a year if I remember correctly... They called it them satellite ducks.. The program lasted several years but was ended due to the expense and they didn\'t get the information they thought the would get..

I never even noticed the antenna, band or markers on her. I just shoved her in my pouch and had planned on grandma frying her for supper. Finally felt that antenna poking me in the back and pulled on it. The whole duck came out of my pouch and that got my attention. Grandpa was expecting a game warden to pull up that whole evening :D

Congrats!!! A banded bird is something that many many duck hunters will never shot...I was lucky this year to shot two banded birds. One teal and one canadian. Congrats again...glad you guys have some water down there. My buddies and I just got back from a week long trip hunting some private ground between Almyra and Stuttgart.

My oldest son and I went today and didn\'t kill many ducks but it was the 1st time in many, many years that we\'ve hunted together just him and me... :D :D

And I killed my 1st greenhead January 2015... Thank the Good Lord for allowing me to enjoy what I\'ve enjoyed and plan to enjoy for a long time more... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
My oldest son and I went today and didn\'t kill many ducks but it was the 1st time in many, many years that we\'ve hunted together just him and me... :D :D

And I killed my 1st greenhead January 2015... Thank the Good Lord for allowing me to enjoy what I\'ve enjoyed and plan to enjoy for a long time more... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:
Good to hear Phil!

Back