1st Hunt - Archery Colorado GMU 54

wpwiest

May 28, 2013
Myself and 3 buddies are going on a DIY Archery Elk trip in Colorado GMU 54 this September. For 3 of us it is our first time elk hunting, one has been a time before years ago, and another has been backpacking many times in the mountains. We have a solid camping and gear list put together. We recently found out our draw was successful so we are going to start doing our homework on the area, studying topo maps and routing hopefully a base camp and hunting locations. We are going to be driving a truck as far up as possible, then hiking as far as we need to get a good location base camp set up. 
Does anyone have any experience hunting in this area and any tips or pointers for locations to hit or stay away from?  Trail heads used? Part of the wilderness hunted? Etc. Any info is very helpful.
Thanks.

Never hunted that unit, but I would suggest calling the biologist for the area and picking their brains about the unit, access, where the elk hang out, and where the hunting pressure is, etc.  They are usually a great resource.

Big Tex said:
Never hunted that unit, but I would suggest calling the biologist for the area and picking their brains about the unit, access, where the elk hang out, and where the hunting pressure is, etc.  They are usually a great resource.
Thank you. We have spoke to them briefly, but that was before we knew for sure we had the draw. We will for sure be calling thebiologist back. I do remember a few things he did say before is he rarely uses any calling, even when we will be there during the rut. He also said the higher up and further we hike, the better luck we will have.

My wife and I backpacked north from the Rainbow Lake trailhead last August and saw several nice muleys, but not too much elk sign along the hiking trails.

I'm also undertaking my 1st elk hunt this year.  A buddy and I drew 1st season rifle tags for 54.  Maybe next year I'll try the more adventurous archery route.

Good luck to you!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back