2018 Bows

Rzrbac

Jan 12, 2018
I?m interested in opinions on this year?s (as well as previous year?s) bows. I?m currently shooting a PSE Inertia at 60lbs. It?s a shooter and I?m happy with it but I?m looking to go back to a 70 lb bow.

I?ve shot a PSE Evolve 31 and 35 as well as a PSE Carbon Stealth. I?ve also shot a Mathews Halon 32, Halon X and a Triax.

Others bows I would like to try are Prime Logic, Obsession Phoenix XL and K34 and an Elite Ritual.

So far I?m leaning toward the Evolve 35. I want to be able to push a 400 grain arrow around 300 FPS with my 29? draw length.

I was excited when I heard the triax was 28" ATA because I like short bows.
Then I read the numbers and found that it's rated about 5 FPS faster than my 2011 Z7 extreme and weighs 1/4lb more. 

So it's hard to convince myself to drop that kind of coin on what I pretty much already have.

The Triax was probably my least favorite of what I have shot thus far. It?s a little shorter than I care for and draws pretty stiff compared to the Halon 32. Could have been the DL was a little long for me. It was very quiet though.

I prefer a bow in the 34?-36? ata range, little more forgiving. Tha 400 grain arrow is a little on the lighter side for elk IMO. Never been a speed freak when it comes to a hunting bow.

So I made up my mind on a new bow. Not the greatest setup for packing in the mountains but not much different than what I?ve used before. I went with a PSE Beast, 7? Bh and 38? ATA, should be forgiving and accurate for longer distances. Had to order it so not sure how long it will take, hopefully get it sometime next month.

wow..38" ATA?!

i think my sweet spot is 33"..my current 35 is nice, but hauling it around in the bush gets tiring. 

DTP said:
I was excited when I heard the triax was 28" ATA because I like short bows.
Then I read the numbers and found that it's rated about 5 FPS faster than my 2011 Z7 extreme and weighs 1/4lb more. 

So it's hard to convince myself to drop that kind of coin on what I pretty much already have.

Daniel,

Speed is not everything as you know but I would venture to guess that if you shot the Triax and your bow through a chronograph that the Triax is more than 5 fps faster.  How much, I am not sure.....but I believe the Triax is performing at or above IBO rating while many of previous Mathews models did not.  Is it worth the extra coin for even 10 fps faster?  I don't think so but I believe that the Triax would be more dead in the hand and quieter but like you said....heavier. 

There is no free lunch.  So there is give and take everywhere.

Still waiting on my bow. Sucks to shoot a left handed bow. It?s been almost 8 weeks and still no bow. Guess good things come to those who wait.

Finally came in this week and picked her up today. Second shot was a bare shaft bullet hole. Got it home and put a tape on it and shot a couple four inch groups at 55.5 yards. This bow is so easy to shoot it makes me look like I know what I?m doing.
dfb1425dfaa2cb2c14c72d3917c8062e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back