3 blade vs 4 blade

mallard79

Dec 28, 2012
Is one really better than the other? I shoot slick tricks now but have shot muzzy 3 blades in the past.....never shot anything with either one yet so I have no hands on experience. What do you shoot? Why?

I shoot slick trick Standards and love them. Never shot a three blade so i wouldnt be able to tell you the difference.

I've always shot 3-blade with great results. My favorite 3-blade is the G5 Striker. I've taken numerous whitetails with the G5 including my personal best 160" this year. I've never lost an animal with these heads.

That being said, my new favorite broadhead is the Slick Trick Magnums. This is a 4-blade head. I read about them several times in magazines and one of them did a fairly extensive test and I liked the performance of the broadhead so I bought a pack. I shot 3 deer with the slick tricks this year and all 3 had giant holes and the heads performed excellent. One was a poor shot on my part and ended up too far back and there was still a ton of blood etc.

From now on, I will be shooting the slick tricks, but the G5 will always have a spot in my quiver.

The thing I like about both of these, is they have a solid ferrule and tip with removeable blades that are secured by the arrow. I can replace dull or damaged blades easily which makes it easy to practice with the same heads you hunt with and they are field serviceable.I always carry a half dozen blades just in case.

"Just an opinion based on a lot of reading", but a 2 blade will penetrate better than a 3 and a 3 better than a 4. BUT, if you have enough arrow weight and speed they all work great. It all needs to increase as you add blades because you are cutting more and thus have more resistance. Traditional bow shooters use 2 blade because of the slower bow speeds but will still get good penetration.

I used to shoot Muzzy 3 blades and recently switched to Slick Trick magnums. I have shot elk with both. There is no comparison to the Slick Tricks. Better penetration and massive wound channel.

I use to shoot 3 blade thunderheads, but a friend gave me some 4 blade muzzy, and I love them, lots of cutting edges

I like my three blade G5 Montecs. I used four blades when I was young but I think the technology is such that any of these three blades heads is as good as it gets.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back