4 Basic Calls for your Elk Hunt

Glacier Country

Nov 13, 2013
You can probably get away with 4 basic calls on an elk hunt.Hope this helps----> Troy 

Attachments

• 4 Basic Calls1.m4a
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 631
Right on the money Troy. There can be variations to each one. But learn those four basic calls and you\'ll be in the chips come September.

It always makes better sense to keep things simple, at least until you have mastered all the basics. Basic has always seemed to be a better option than carrying a book or an app. on a smart phone, and trying to figure out what did the bull say, and what kind of a response should I try?

Glacier Country said:
You can probably get away with 4 basic calls on an elk hunt.Hope this helps---->Troy
I can understand the first three types of elk calls. But when would you use the nervous grunt and what does it mean to other elk?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Jim Horn and I used to refer to it as the "where are you" grunt when we would talk hunting as that's how the Bulls would use it. They would run in to close range, stop, not see the Bull, and do that grunt. Nervous grunt would be a good description also.
It's an effective call for stopping a Bull immediately. They tend to take a few steps when trying to stop them with a Cow call.

I have had several come in and do the grunt, then stand there watching. Does seem like they are saying "show yourself". Thanks for the recording of the 4 calls.

Thank you so much! I?m new to archery elk hunting this year and will definitely review these calls before I go out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back