Animal down pictures

MT_mulies

Dec 28, 2012
Usually when I shoot something I hold onto the animals ears and not the antlers. I do that because if you hold the antlers then people have something to compare the antler size too (your hands), but if you hold the ears then people can't make a direct comparison. I always take time, even if it is freezing or getting dark to take nice pictures because that is how you remember the hunt and I don't like having bad pictures when I show people or having grass or branches right infront of the camera. Does anybody have any certain way they hold their animals or position them when taking pictures?

I have to say that I am very bad at this.  I have even had a few animals that I haver had a picture of but had a camera with me.  Too much excitement from the hunt and then too much anxiety thinking about getting home:)  Never even thought about not touching the antlers.  Thx.

Below is a pic of a deer that my friend tool  He was very low and compared to me and it made this deer look much bigger than it really is.  I have used this approach with other pictures and it does make things appear bigger.

Attachments

• mini-SDIM1572.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 1
One thing that I hate is when the hunter positions himself way behind the animal to make the antlers look bigger than they really are.  Just pose right next to him.  If you are too concerned about making it bigger than it really is then I don't to see it.  Don't get me wrong, I like seeing a good elk picture and stories about the hunt, just don't make it out to be bigger than it really is that's all. :)

Attachments

• P1000383.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 1
Often times how the elk lies and in the terrain I am in dictates how much I can physically do to fight gravity to position the animal in a way that offers a nice presentation. I look for a stick to prop up their head if need be and take pictures from different angles.  That is one thing nice about todays technology is you can see the photos you are taking. 

Attachments

• DSCN1201_NEW (640x480) (2).jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1
  • archery elk 2004 (640x433) (640x433).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1
I still have a long way to go to get a good picture.  I hate the fake pictures you see with guy sitting way back so i tried it with just the elk.  It still doesnt look right to me.  They are both the same size but you cant tell from the pic.  I usually forget to take pictures in the mountains, something i need to work on and get better at.

Attachments

• twobullsoneridge.jpg
    twobullsoneridge.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 2
Not sure if you consider this standing or posing behind the bull a ways? I like seeing the different styles of pictures that people take. Here is mine from last year.

Attachments

• Picture 010 - Copy.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 56
elk.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back