Another Campfire Discussion

Swede

Mar 4, 2014
This time of year most of us are back from out elk hunts, though not all. The coffee pot seems to get emptied pretty fast now with the short days, and hunters hanging around camp. Cnelk has his old Chevy serviced and ready again, and J.F. is playing computer guru. So, while we have the longer nights to hang around camp, lets discuss that challenge that came up for me this past archery season.
I placed my stand in a basin, but the thermals were terrible. The trail camera indicated the place was getting a lot of elk activity. It was hot from use, but that quickly changed when I arrived. Up-hill, 1/3 mile away was a lesser used water hole/wallow with no tree for a stand, and off to the west about 200 yards was a short little stream with one of many trails leading into the basin, feeding area. That last spot had some good trees nearby for a stand. Cover was never an issue in any of these places. It was just a choice between frequency of elk use, having a usable tree for a stand, and playing the wind. The bummer was that at the time the elk were at the best location, the winds were the worst. What is your advise? Dan/Derek this is not your opportunity to say \"stay in camp and make more coffee.\" :lol:

I do love coffee!!!!

It would probably depend on the season and timing. If it was early and hot, I\'d be on the ground at the water hole. Depending on cover.

Otherwise I\'d try to be set up on the travel route to food.

I guess a big question to this would be where was bedding in relationship to these spots you mentioned?

Staying in camp and making more coffee sounds like the easiest thing to do for sure! But that typically never leads to filling your tag, so let\'s try something else :D

Can you elaborate on what time of day the elk were at the best location and what you mean by the winds were the worst? Were they swirling or blowing a direction that would make the elk unapproachable? Like Dan, I\'d be curious to know where you think they are bedding as well. I would think that worst case, you should be able to find a good ambush location.

Good questions guys. The worst winds were not what you would expect. Instead of swirling winds, it was the downward thermals, that filled the basin that was the problem. I think I was high enough to be protected from shifting winds. The cool air going down, was constant in the morning and evening. As for the bedding area, that was tricky too. There was no one timber stand they came out of or used. There were good bedding areas all around the basin. The dang critters could come from anywhere, and leave in any direction.

Based on the evidence I saw, they fed in the basin, and bedded there often at night. The area stunk of elk. There were beds everywhere, and in spots, the grass was chewed down like cattle had been there. The beds were night time ones, that they use in between feeding periods at night. After it warmed up in the morning, they left for the timber. There were a lot of places they could go in the day, but I would say the north face 1/2 mile away, that my son wanted me to try to avoid, was a heavily used area. My son was somewhat successful, but I was beat when he tried to steer me around it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back