another use for vinagar

elkfever

Jan 15, 2013
well it has been quite with the seasons winding down so i thought i would share a tip.

we have used a vinegar bath for the past 5 years and it has helped produce some of the best elk meat ever from big bulls to cows. what we do is get a couple large totes or ice chests and add water and vinegar and ice. what happens is great. the ice water cools the meat fast and complete,the vinegar kills any bacteria and seasons the meat rapedly by pulling blood out of the meat as well as tenderising the meet.the only problem i have with it is that it makes grinding a touch sloppy. but tolerable . we are able to butcher and wrap ,pack are meat very fast and i think that is key. i belive that hanging meat for a prolong amount of time  is not the best thing even though this is the common practice. o yeah and most game flavor is removed , and you do not get a vinegar taste.

what i do is get 1 gal of vinegar add ice and water and then meat. i like to pull out a thermometer to gage meat temp to get it cooled down all the way. i add enough vinegar to smell it strong in each tote. give it a shot you will be happy you did.

my jerky bases are made with vinegar but i wouldnt put my whole elk in it personally. hanging is the best way as long as its cool enough. and you have the space it allows proper aging to tenderize meat. However, there is a new method with vacuum sealing i have seen but am not familiar with. gamey taste can be lossed in the cooking process for the most part some really old rutty meat will always have a distinct flavor i save that for the hunters who will appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back