Arrow rest

dplumlee12

Dec 28, 2012
Recently switched from an old fall away rest to a whisker biscuit... Reason I switched was due to a whitetail hunt in ok. I was moving through an area, jumped a deer and my arrow fell off the rest.....  Arghhh!

I purchased the whisker soon after.

I guess what I'm asking is if the new fall away rests are worth trying or just stick to whisker?

I have the Ripcord Code Red rest and it "contains" the arrow similar to a whisker biscuit.  It certainly doesn't hold the arrow as tight as a WB so I still have to secure the arrow with a finger while walking to avoid any rattling noise.  But I often don't have an arrow nocked.  When I bought my bow it had a drop away without the "containment" feature and that was my exact concern in that it would be difficult to always be holding the arrow while it is nocked.  I have friends that use a whisker biscuit but I think mainly because that is what they are used to.  It made sense to me that anything that contacts the arrow upon release would have some effect on the flight so I went with a dropaway.  The WB also has an "advantage" in that there are no moving parts but I still prefer a dropaway although I'm certainly a rookie and still learning when it comes to bowhunting.

I have both the QAD Ultra-Rest and the RipCord Code Red and both do a good job of arrow containment and are quiet as long as you have the foam/felt on them.  I have never used the Whisker, but tons of people do and love the security and see no impact on their accuracy.  I just can't wrap my head around something touching the vanes and not having an impact on arrow flight, especially a broadhead.  Also, I can adjust both the Ultra-Rest and Code Red to tune my broadheads to hit at the same point as my field tips.  Don't know if that is an issue with the WB or not.

dplumlee12 said:
Recently switched from an old fall away rest to a whisker biscuit... Reason I switched was due to a whitetail hunt in ok. I was moving through an area, jumped a deer and my arrow fell off the rest.....  Arghhh!

I guess what I'm asking is if the new fall away rests are worth trying or just stick to whisker?

I shoot the RipCord rest and if you are stalking on a deer/elk you can put the rest in an upright position so the arrow shouldn't fall out when you come to full draw.  I think a rest is a personal choice.  If you like the whisker biscuits and they serve your hunting needs than shoot it.  I know tree stand hunters use em' a lot.  shoot what you feel accurate with, comfortable with, and is dependable.  just my 2 cents...

I shoot with a RipCord Red but have been thinking to go to the QAD Ultra-Rest because of the letdown feature of the QAD

I've used the Schaffer Oppostion rest, which is a full-containment arrow rest...it provides the option of locking the arrow in place, when starting a stalk.  So far, no issues with it of any kind.  It sounds loud when releasing it with your fingers, but I feel it is not very loud at all, when actually shooting.  The full containment is amazing and allows to shoot from pretty much all angles. 

My only concern is late-season and getting any water or ice in the springs...but so far, no issues!

If you want full containment and feel comfortable with the WB then I say use it. I used it for years and like it. Over time it used to tear the fletchings off my arrows so I switched to the QAD Ultrarest. I switched due to the noise of it slapping the shorter riser bows. I am now using the AAE Pro-Drop and I love it, but I also have to worry about the wire connecting the limb to the rest.

With a WB you will lose some arrow speed, but for the most part it is negligible unless you are a fanatic about getting the most possible speed from your set up. My dad and brother have been using a WB for years and refuse to switch.

Love the Bisquit!!  Keep it simple stupid!!  Also can run and gun with no chance what so ever of there being any arrow noise!!  One quick visual check and you can tell it is working!!

dplumlee12 said:

most hunting fall away rests nowadays are full containment so that is not a problem. you can turn the bow upside down and the arrow won't go anywhere.  I shoot a ripcord but am considering a QAD hdx. 

I have been debating about switching to a rip cord, but its too hard to let go of the WB. I hear so many good things about them but have 0 problems with my set up now. So why switch right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back