arrow suggestions

Bigrax82

Dec 28, 2012
I am looking at getting a better set of arrows- I currently have Gander Mountain's Whitetail brand about $30 for half dozen. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on a brand, carbon or not & micro diameter or not? 

Arrow choice depends all on draw length and what bow you are shooting/how fast.  Are you going to use them for hunting or just target shooting? 

Are you hunting deer or something bigger?? 

I use to like a lighter faster arrow!  Now, I like a heavier arrow!!  Two years ago, I shot a 385 grain arrow and on deer and antelope, it worked fine!  On elk though, I very rarely punched out the other side let alone got a pass-through!!  Last year, I went a little heavier to 405 arrow!  I was lucky enough to harvets a cow and a bull!  Both were complete pass-throughs at even further shots out of the same bow!!  This past season, I bought a bow that was about 20 fps faster IBO than last year so I went to 435 grain arrow!!  I didn't get a pass-through on my bull this year but I came in two ribs back from the ponch and went through the opposite shoulder and was stopped by hide on the otherside!!  That was probably more my fault because of the shot angle I took!!  Scary thing was there wasn't one drop of blood on the ground until he started thrashing 150 yards away!! 

My point is on the bigger animals, it is nice to have them bleeding from as many holes in the hide as posibble!  If entry is high enough, you might not get any blood on the ground if it isn't coming out the other side!!  Even a double lung, any animal can go a couple hundred yards!  What do you do if you can't find blood???  Heavy arrows tend to punch through better!!!

Thanks for the information. I'm from Minnesota so right now majority of my hunting is whitetail however i am working towards getting to elk hunt. Right now I have a Bear Mauler set to 65 lbs and draw of 28 1/2. 

I changed bows last year to a more speedy and powerful bow so I changed my arrows to the Full Metal Jacket Easton arrows because they are heavy and hit hard and my bow can push out fast enough.

I love my full metal Jackets. My setup is 416 grains . Pretty much passthroughs most of the time on elk. Going to go with heavier broadheads to up the weight to 435.

I use Easton Axis N-FUSED CARBON arrows 340 with 125 gr. broadheads and I am amazed how well they perform. I harvesterd a bull elk last year on the opening day. There was a complete passthrough the rib cage and the bull fell down after covering 100+ yards. I have a Bowtech Invasion bow set at 65 lbs. with the Easton Axis arrows reaching a speed of 260 fps. This was my first elk kill with this bow. I used to hunt for 17 years with an old Pearson compaund bow set at 55 lbs that had the Easton aluminum arrow speed of 160 fps. I killed 9 bulls and 1 cow with the Pearson bow and my longest shot was at 35 yards and the closest at 7 yards. Even with the 7 yard shot my arrow did not penetrate the animal. What I noticed with the new and faster bow was the amount of blood loss was incredible. Also, the meet from this 5x4 bull has been delicious. Almost no gamy taste to it! All the meat from the elk I harvested before was good, but never tasted that well like last year's meat. So, yes, I also prefer heavier arrows. They deal a little better with the wind factor in my opinion.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_1.htm

The link above is well worth the read.

I am currently shooting Easton ACC Pro Hunting 300's.  They are the only aluminum/carbon hybrid I will shoot.  I have shot FMJ's and I was not impressed with the durability.

I have zero complaints about east FMJ. Some say they are too heavy because they are more concerned with speed. If you want more penitration, then I would go with them.

basco said:
I have zero complaints about east FMJ. Some say they are too heavy because they are more concerned with speed. If you want more penitration, then I would go with them.

Are those micro or full size diameter? Is there a pro or con to either?

I have shot 31" Beman ICS 300 arrows for years and love them. At 9.5 gpi they are one of the heaviest shafts around. These coupled with 125grn fixed blades give me great penetration. And the price to quality for these is great.

I love the easton full metal jacket.  great penetration and indestructible.  On several occasions I buried one halfway through a fence.  had to cut a section out of the fence to whittle the arrow out and even after that it still grouped right there with the rest of em.  only thing that will destroy a full metal jacket is another full metal jacket. also you don't ever have to worry about an arrow splintering because the outside is metal.  many times ive hit one arrow with another and it just made a dent.  carbon arrows will split

i wanted to try something new so I got the easton acc pro hunter and they are great arrows also

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back