arrow weight and penetration

MATT STRAW

Dec 28, 2012
I got New arrows this year, 29.5" with 100 grain field point they weigh in at 403 grains. I guess my question is would it be better to stick with 100 grain or go 125. would it improve penetration enough to be worth it.

Anything with more weight carries more energy with it. 403 is not a bad weight, I would say anything over 400 is good. I shoot 474 only because I'm now shooting more poundage. Before that I was shooting around 410 or so.

There is a great article in Eastmans about kinetic energy.  I would look up the equation and do the math.  At some point between speed and weight there is a sweet spot.  Find that and you will be happy.  I will be working that out this spring!

Kind of depends on your own shooting range and what your shooting.I think for example a 70 lbs bow at 30 yards it really wont matter.Now I shoot out 90 yards and a heaver arrow is better for penetration and is less afected by wind.however a lighter arrow will fly flatter and if you are shooting in the trees this will help with avoiding the tree branches.A well placed shoot is most important ,3 razor blades in the hart or lungs and its all over even if its not a pas through.

I like that site, it's good to know what KE is from your setup. Light arrows lose KE much faster down range ;)

It depends on your speed too. I shoot 398 grn. arrow that carries 100 grn. Slick Tricks. Smoking at 301 fps. Kinetic energy is arround 79. Unbelievable accuracy and penatration, even at long distances

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back