Arrow weight

arik1

Dec 13, 2018
Guys,
Long time since I've posted here, but im back on the bandwagon and heading to Oregon in a few weeks to chase Roosies. I switched up my arrow set up this summer, as I wasn't getting the consistency I wanted. I'm now shooting easton axis 340s, with 100 gr annihlator broadheads. Flight is awesome and I'm dialed in and ready, but I have this overthinking problem. I'm pretty sure the set up weighs in around 370 gr. Chrono'd around 280 fps. But now I'm wondering if they're too light and if I need to make a change before I leave.
I'm going to get an arrow scale today and will update if my 370 estimate was way off, but what do you experts think? Change? Or just shut up and hunt?
Correction: I wasn't adding in the weight of my insert, and miscalculated vane weight. I'm coming in right at 400 gr.

I have a similar set up. Same arrows at 29in. Total weight for me with 100gr BH comes in at 422gr with some arrows 2-3grs more.  Curious to hear what yours ends up at.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

At this point I wouldn't worry about changing something. 400 grains will definitely work. You can always tinker next year if you want, but I wouldn't change it up that close to a trip if I was you.

Cohunter,
That's where I'm kind of at too. I feel alot better at 400, though I was debating trying that weedeater line thing in an arrow or two and see how it shoots, but not sure it's worth the trouble at this point.

Adding that line is a simple thing to do, but then you'll have to adjust your pins too. If it were me, I'd still just wait until after the hunt to start tinkering.

!!!!!!!!PENETRATION!!!!!!!
If you have a few weeks to tinker, then do so.
Will your setup kill elk? ABSOLUTELY. It will kill anything in NA.

Hoever, I don?t even consider that heavy enough for Midwest Whitetails.  On Whitetails I shoot nearly 600gr with 18% FOC AT 72#.
I will go up for Elk, closer to 650 or little more.
If you have a few weeks, I would go HIGH FOC and single bevel or if u must double bevel heads.  Then less worries bout pass through and bone deflections etc?.
Good luck. Hit em in those ribs and he?s in trouble.

Shot placement is always #1! I wouldn?t see why 370ish grains wouldn?t be sufficient enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience shooting rosies so take a grain of salt with my two cents.

I think overall that arrow is a bit light for most things. However, you?re pretty close to you hunt and I?m also against messing around with things as you approach a season/hunt.

If your arrow flight is good I?d probably just leave things as is and I hope it all goes well. A really sharp broadhead on an arrow flying well can penetrate pretty well?

I have an entry level bow and my arrows are about 465 grains. I shoot 125 grain Magnus Buzzcuts and my arrow speed is about 265 FPS. I?ve never had an issue with lack of penetration since I arrived at that set up. That includes shooting a feral hog frontal and a time I messed up on a young whitetail. I hit my blind before hitting him in the neck, completely cutting the vertebrae in half before it punched through the offside shoulder blade. I also shot a big momma hog 1/4 to me. I don?t usually worry about bones, I don?t aim for the big one, but I don?t worry about them if something gets in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back