Arrows

mtelk406

Nov 8, 2014
What do you guys think the best arrows are ? I'm looking to get a bunch of arrows for target practice should I shoot the same arrows in target practice as elk hunting ?

spot and stalk is right arrows are a personal preference. my main concern is straightness i prefer  less than .03 in tolerance. you really have to watch the cheap deals and walmart kind of arrows they can be very different from arrow to arrow tolerance wise. i shoot a heavy arrow with a heavy broad head. extreme elk magazine had a great article on this not to long ago. i love my Black Eagle zombie slayers i have shot two deer nd a yote with the same arrow this year all three pass throughs.  wish i could have added and elk to that list but maybe next year.

I'm an Easton fan myself. They make a wide range of range of arrows from Olympic grade target shafts to cheap aluminum hunting/plinking shafts and everything in between. I personally shoot the FMJ 400's at 28"and absolutely love them.

Oh yeah, most Easton shafts are still made in the USA too.

Welcome to the site.

I too am an Easton fan. I either shoot a full metal jacket, or a Beman MFX. I like a heavier arrow. I think a better quality arrow no matter what brand shoots a lot better than a cheaper one. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with a 50-60# draw, you'll need all the KE you can muster.  Depending on your draw length and weight (mine is 26.5" and 68#) I went with the Axis N-fused 340's, which are 9.5 grains per inch.  They're super stiff at that length but, it gets my finished weight to 410 grains. 

and yes, you should shoot the same arrow setup for practice and hunting.

I use Easton FMJ. Arrows are 440 grains with a Slick Trick Viper Trick in 125 gr. deadly on elk.

I shoot the Easton Da torch with a 100 grain muzzy trocar, it's a deadly combo and at 90 yards practice I hit money every time .

If your wondering too on my bow its a Hoyt nitrum 30

I just got some Black Eagle Rampage and love them. I have shot about everything Easton makes and a couple Carbon Express and these Black Eagles are my favorites.

Field staff - Athens Archery, HHA Sports, Benchmark Outdoors, and MTN OPS

I run Carbon Express Mayhem Hunter 250 arrows and have had alot of success hunting boar, turkey and whitetail. Mine are 27 inches for a 65 lb draw  This will be my first elk season.

honestly tinkering with the idea of trying some Grizzly Stick Momentum arrows this year.  Ordered the 650 challenge pack a few days ago....will update after I shoot 'em.

Finally got out to shoot this afternoon...

Without doing a full write up, I will say that the Grizzly stick arrows WILL increase your penetration, and they WILL cut the wind better than your current setup.  My FOC went up to 19%, and I was getting an extra 3 inches of penetration into my 18-1.

Am I seemingly WAY over-spined at .250?  Yes
Did they actually fly better than my Axis 340's?  Yes
Did they penetrate better than my Axis 340's?  Yes
Was my bow MUCH quieter shooting a 650gr arrow?  Yes
Did they shoot in the same spot out to 30 yards?  Yes
Point of impact at 40 yards?  8 inches low.
How much speed did I lose vs my current setup?  Almost 100fps

Will I spend $150 on a half-dozen?  Unkown, still deciding.

Any thoughts?

(and i will say that I'm a short draw shooter - 27" @ 65#, so, KE and penetration might be an issue for me)

Have had great luck with Carbon Express. Started shooting Reds last year and not one complaint. No elk with them, but a kudu, 2 zebras and few few others in Africa.

Hunt with the same kind of arrows you practice with. I love my easton axis cameo's. It is all preference... For hunting I have my spots that hold elk and we go in and call for them or try and get our sneak on (which has yet to work) Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back