Bad Knees?

Primitive

Jan 2, 2013
Anyone on here figure out a good work out with bad knees?  I prefer to run, but a couple days of that, and then my knees start aching.  The eliptical just bores me to death, I can only tolerate it if I'm watching hunting videos.  I have made it work by bouncing back and forth but just wondering if there are any other ideas out there.

I hear you primitive. 10 kneesurgeries here all on one knee and two rebuilds. I made a choice many years ago to give up all court sports, running and eventually event mt biking. I stick with the treadmill with incline year around, and it gets boring but gets the job done...work on building or strengthening surrounding leg muscles as the knee allow, lunges, squates if possible, wall squates if needed and other body movement activities. Good luck, as this activity we call elk hunting is not kind to knees especially on the descents..........also check out trekking poles for those long hikes they are godsend! 

I have had one knee surgery (enough for me!) and afterward it never really felt good until I really got it strong.  Strengthening the surrounding muscles did wonders for me.  I started with biking and slowly started to mix in running.  Now it is as good as new five years later but I stay on top of my conditioning now.

I tried running to get into elk shape last year. My knees started getting sore so I quit. After that they started popping or clicking when I walked. I did very little all summer hoping they'd heal. I finally got sick of sitting around and planned a big climbing trip. Trained for a month, climbing everyday. The knee started feeling better and I was in mountain shape by rifle season. The clicking has gone away.

I agree, strengthening the muscles around the knee can be the answer. IMO - jogging is not a very good way to train for elk hunting. Climb!

I also have bad knees what works well for me is to put a 5 Gal bucket full of water on my frame pack with a lid so it wont spill. Then hike up a mountain. Once at the top i dump all the water out. That way my knees dont get all banged up from the weight on the way down. Oh and make sure and fill it as full as it can get. That way the water does not slosh around

Jake

The stationary bikes seem to work for me...I go to the local gym and take my IPAD. I set it on the shelf and put in the ear buds and peddle my butt off. You can watch movies, hunting videos or listen to music. Keeps me from getting bored and the hunting vids will get you moving.

Primitive said:
Anyone on here figure out a good work out with bad knees?  I prefer to run, but a couple days of that, and then my knees start aching.  The eliptical just bores me to death, I can only tolerate it if I'm watching hunting videos.  I have made it work by bouncing back and forth but just wondering if there are any other ideas out there.

Road bike, mountain bike and hiking help me to maintain my cardio and endurance, I've had knee surgery twice on my left knee and running at times gives me complications and pain of course.

had one knee surgery about 10 years ago.and since If you see me running than im being chased by some one with a knife!!! I just do the same as I do when im hunting hike the mountains.10 months of the year.

Just listen to your body. When your in pain stop doing whatever it is your doing it will just cause damage. This will also slowly build your muscles around your knee. Its like when you start running. You stop and walk after you feel like passing out. Its the same concept only with your knee

Also, depending on what your knee issue is, there are some injectibles that can help for a period of time. Each year I get injected twice with something calling Synvisc, this helps with chondromalacia, which is from years of abuse pounding mountains, age and general wear and tear. Consider it like a lube job for your knee. It is not cheap,nor for everyone, but it is an option for some. A week after the shot and for about 3-6 months I feel like I am 20 again in that knee.   

I am 54yrs and started running at 52yrs my knees got sore then I learned to massage and strech the muscles around the knee and with weight lose of 50lbs. I am running up to 6hrs on my long runs I train in the mountains. I think it has helped me chase the Elk in the steep and nasty stuff started Elk hunting 3 yrs ago I have got 2 nice bulls since. I hunt wilderness backpack solo running works for me maybe not for everyone.

Jeremiah Johnson said:
Each year I get injected twice with something calling Synvisc, this helps with chondromalacia, which is from years of abuse pounding mountains, age and general wear and tear. Consider it like a lube job for your knee. It is not cheap,nor for everyone, but it is an option for some. A week after the shot and for about 3-6 months I feel like I am 20 again in that knee. 
I am in the same boat as many.  Due to years of abuse my knees are shot.  For workouts I do a "Total Body" routine 3 days a week and Cardio 4-5 x per week.  No running here either.  Mtn Bike, Eliptical, or one of the new hybrid eleptical/stair steep machines.
I have also been getting the Synvisc injections once to twice a year (typically in late July and late November) and can attest they are not the cure, but make going down hill much more comfortable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back