badlands 2200

linds1007

Dec 28, 2012
I have never packed in to elk hunt so im wondering if a badlands 2200 will be sufficient to pack 3 to 4 days and still pack out my quarters? Yes it will be in the back country.

I used my 2200 for my 4 day elk hunt this year and I think it works great. Are you going solo? While I did not have to fully pack in, we packed out my elk using 2200s and while it made for a long day of packing out the pack was great. I started training for my elk hunt last January by putting loads of sand in my pack. By August I had over 100# in the pack and was hiking with it. It made all the difference when it came to packing my elk off the mountain.

You would really have to be a minimalist to get away with a 3 or 4 day hunt with a Badlands 2200 pack. Kudos to you The SoCal Bowhunter. My suggestion would be, if you want to stay with Badlands, to go up to their 2800. It will give you a little more room without increasing weight that much more.

I have a 2200 but I use it for deer day hunts!  When you walk in a couple of miles into the mountains, it is nice to bone out the deer instead of walking out to get help or horses!  You might want to go bigger if you are actually going in for a couple of days!!! 

The 2200 is a GREAT day/overnight pack and can definitely be used to pack quarters.  Having said that, for a multi day hunt, I would go with a 4500 or something similar.  Just yesterday, I used my 2200 to pack out 1/2 of a late season cow, extremely heavy but handled it well......

It is an awesome pack, I haven't used it for more than an overnight hunt but if you pack light and tie stuff on you could probably make it work.  Any pack that size will be a challenge.  I have used this pack for the first load out on several elk but always have a frame pack ready to go for subsequent trips.  Here it is loaded up with a hind quarter and all my gear this year. That was a fun packout, all by myself and of course I shot it in a hole, a mile and a half with 1500 feet elevation gain to get it out.

Attachments

• 2012-10-06_11-34-05_950.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1
FYI
This pack is suppose to sale on camofire.com today at 35% off.  The site says reg. $259.95 on sale for 169.99. 

If you are trying to fit a quarter plus gear the 2200 will not work. However, if you pack light and affix a bit of gear to the outside you can get 4 days out of it. It wont be ideal, but it can be done.

Used a 2200 for 10+ yrs. & packed several elk out. I replaced it this past august with a MR Longbow. Keeping the old 2200 for a backup.

It will work I went on three day hunts with no problem. I have a blue widow now from eberlestock much better pack imo you can go from 2000 ci to 7000ci.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back